Yakima Loadwarrior question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a fence post crossbar setup, got it from a guide I saw on here or on Lost (Thanks to whoever wrote that). They are working great but I would like to put a cargo basket up. Will a Yakima Loadwarrior attach to the bars that I have, or does it have to be the OEM crossbars (Which I do not have).

If it will not attach, is there another cargo basket out there that will bolt to my setup?

Thanks

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f293/another-take-diy-cross-bars-52737/

Using that set up (3/4" conduit), my Yakima ski/snowboard rack when right on. So I bet it uses a similar if not the same mounting system. What's the diameter of the fence post? If it's larger (like 1.5") then you may have to use longer hardware, which is supplied. I got by with the shorter hardware.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f293/another-take-diy-cross-bars-52737/

Using that set up (3/4" conduit), my Yakima ski/snowboard rack when right on. So I bet it uses a similar if not the same mounting system. What's the diameter of the fence post? If it's larger (like 1.5") then you may have to use longer hardware, which is supplied. I got by with the shorter hardware.

I am almost positive the fence post is 1 3/8". I found a "Black Widow" rack with decent reviews that I can positively say will work, but for twice the money I can't find any information on what size post a Yakima will mount too.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I like your roof rack crossbar setup than the fence post design, simply because it sits higher. I understand the 3/4" conduit, but what the heck is mounting it to the roof bars? I looked at your equipment list, maybe I am just too ignorant on electrical stuff but I don't see what's being used. Thanks

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, #2 goes over the factory rails then the next size smaller for the conduit bars. No cutting...no bending, you can go with any size conduit (I used 48"...but you could do 56"+). I've been using it almost daily for 2 weeks for taking 2 pairs of skis and 2 boards on it, working great so far. Conduit and the hangers are designed to handle several hundred pounds.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, So I understand you are using this stuff:
GRAINGER APPROVED VENDOR Conduit, Emt, 3/4 In - conduit - 6XC31|583203 - Grainger Industrial Supply
That would work, but you won't get end caps that way. Check Home Depot or Lowes (I assume there isn't a Menards there) and see if they have it in precut lengths, so it'll have end caps.
And I assume by #2 it is this stuff
GRAINGER APPROVED VENDOR Hanger, Conduit, EMT 3/4 In, Pk100 - Conduit Hangers - 6XC38|6XC38 - Grainger Industrial Supply
Those will work for the part that connects to the actual bars. I used ones with carriage bolts for looks and ease of install though.

But i'm failing to grasp what the third item is.

I wrote in blue. I'll get pics of the third item, but it's just like the one above but a size bigger, #2.