XM Direct in an '05?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Stack

Reaction score
Hi all, my girlfriend has an '05 Limited with the 6-disc in dash CD player. We are trying to figure out the best way to get XM in her vehicle. I'd prefer it to be hardwired if possible.

I found this at the XM radio store, and it says:

This XM Direct system will work in most Satellite Radio ready Chrysler vehicles. Designed to work with the following 2003-2005 Chrysler vehicles with RB1, RAZ, RBQ, RBU or RBP factory radios. Will NOT work in vehicles with factory installed navigation.

Does she have one of the mentioned radios? I am not sure what her radio model # is. Has anyone tried this kit? The alternative is to get a Roady and a kit to run the audio in through the antenna (A direct connection, but still through the radio and thus not ideal). We were thinking, if we have to go this route, of mounting the Roady on the panel behind the steering wheel underneath the gauges on the right side. We want it to look as factory as possible. Anyone have any success mounting an XM receiver unobtrusively?

Thanks for any help.

Sorry for not posting this in the electronics forum, but this side gets more traffic. Mods, feel free to move if necessary.[/url]

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the model "letters" of the radio should be on the lower left corner on the front of the radio. i installed a roady on mine with the cheap, 1 CD radio using the built in FM modulator. i'd like mine to be hard wired also, but i doubt that my radio has audio inputs on the back....oh well, maybe a new deck some day!

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, bro, it's the RBQ.
You must be registered for see images

A friend of mine got a new wrangler with this stereo and went some of the same stuff you're talking about here, except, being a Howard Stern fan, went with the little doggie company instead of xm.

You'll find that (like the navigation radio RB1) theres nothing made for this radio. No line input device, none of the cool toys will work with it. There is not even a PIE adapter (line-in adapter) for it. Which means not only can you not use XM direct, but you would likely have to use FM modulation to get anything into it.

I have a skyfi in my jeep with an aftermarket stero and it works nicely. Pro-Fit makes a nice bracket for mounting it, thats the route I ended up going.

Let us know how it goes, and welcome to the board!

-Blu

mb818

Reaction score
i'm sorry, but this thread has some bad information... the XM Radio Direct will indeed work with the RBQ because I have one in my '05 renegade. works great and the song titles, artist names, station names all show up on the RBQ's display. to me it's a much better option than using a roady and having wires hanging out everywhere..

btw, i thought i had registered here in the past but for the life of me i could not recall my user/pass... so i registered again just so i could reply to this post 8-[

mb818

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad.... if I'd taken the time to look @ your initial message I would have seen that the tuner is compatible with RBQ.

Thanks for taking the time to re-register to correct my error :)

-Blu

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This XM Direct system will work in most Satellite Radio ready Chrysler vehicles. Designed to work with the following 2003-2005 Chrysler vehicles with RB1, RAZ, RBQ, RBU or RBP factory radios. Will NOT work in vehicles with factory installed navigation.

This sounds conflicting to me. The RB1 is a NAV unit from the factory, and it says it's compatible, but the very next sentence says it's not???

Either way, I have an XM MiFI and it's pretty solid with the mount that comes with it. I just ran the wiring behind the silver plate. It be great to use XM through the RB1!

You must be registered for see images

Chris Stack

Reaction score
Hey, thanks guys. I think she will be getting the XM direct from either me or her parents for Christmas, so I will let you know how it goes.

And yeah, not having to mount anything/run wires everywhere is exactly why we want the direct.

Thanks for the help.