Would these work as recovery points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry no pic, but I'm just curious about something. I know that I lost my recovery points when I put on my Ram grille guard. But since the recovery points are just holes in the frame, would I be able to drill holes through the bars of my guard (RIGHT next to the two mounting points that I used)? or would bolts attaching the guard not be strong enough to do so?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pondering the same thing, but the factory tow hook has that M shaped bolt that takes up the two holes next to the hole that the guard is mounted through. If you look over you will see those other two holes, those go through the heavier part of the frame. I'm working on a project in my spare time to try and use those two holes with a bar to add shackles to either side of my grille guard, there is enough room to do it, will have to trim the bumper slightly.

If you look at the threads on here where guys installed the front shackles you will see what i mean. The only thing is i don't want to tear the whole front bumper off to do it so i'm working on how to do it another way using that same mounting location.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A picture from the Westin installation instructions, which is similar to pretty much every one of them made as far as mounting location. You can see the other two holes that i was talking about.

I might have a solution, going to work on it a bit next weekend. Thinking i can make up a bolt with the help of a shop bud that i have, similar in design to the factory M bolt they thread up in there, but make it from a long grade 8 or grade 10 bolt, cut the head off, use the press brake to bend it to shape, and then use a die to put threads on the cut off end where the head was. Make sense?

I just need to scrounge a M bolt from the junkyard or somewhere to use as a pattern for bending new bolts.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I know TJ tow hooks are a lot more simple to mount. Maybe look at those???

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i say, just wrap your tow rope around your front axle shaft, and attach it to a tree. start trying to drive, and turn it into a winch... but don't quote me on that...

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i say, just wrap your tow rope around your front axle shaft, and attach it to a tree. start trying to drive, and turn it into a winch... but don't quote me on that...

Welcome boebr!

As humorus as this might sound, I have seen devices for sale that are simply versions of this.

They are typically some type of small spool that bolts onto the rim using the stock lug nuts. The Idea is that this goes on the wheel that is losing traction, and therefore spinning freely (open differential). As the wheel spins, it acts like the drum on a whinch, and will pull you to the point you regain traction and can drive out.

In the days of steel rims and open ended lug nuts, it might have been practical, especially if you installed longer studs to make it easier to attach. But with cast alloy rims and "acorn" type lug nuts, these have become a thing of the past.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, i saw a write up on that once in a 4x4 magazine, only they suggested taking the tire off the wheel (must have been a split wheel), so you could wrap the rope around the wheel. sounded like a lot of work, not to mention how frustrated you'd be when your rope winch wheel had more traction, so it stopped spinning (for those without lockers).