Will Yakima Kingpin 2 clear the spare tire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spoooon

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got an 07 Liberty Sport, but no hitch. Am considering buying the OEM one, but before I do, I wanted to know if anyone had any problems using a hitch rack.

It would probably be helpful if anyone could tell me how far the hitch sticks out. Is it flush with the bumper? Or will that vary depending on installation?

edit: I don't know if that has been posted or not (will search), but does the OEM hitch require any drilling? I vaguely remember a thread discussing how a "15 minute" install turned in to hours of work. Going to look for it.

edit: Found my answer. :)

Last edited:

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think with an 07, you really should be looking at a 15 - 30 minute install. I think the reason people (like me) had a hard time is that we had older Liberties. Since the nuts are welded into the frame rails from the factory, they are exposed to water, salt, etc until you add a hitch. In my case, they were rusted shut, and my hitch was not welded perfectly square to boot (mine was not an OE hitch BTW).

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 and have a Hitch Haul carrier that I use from time-to-time.

If you want pictures of that let me know...

spoooon

Reaction score
I have an 02 and have a Hitch Haul carrier that I use from time-to-time.

If you want pictures of that let me know...

That would be cool of you if you could just post a pic of that. I already have the bike rack from when I had my Envoy. I just want to make sure there is enough clearance and to get an idea of how much room there would be.