Why does my KJ do this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexio senchez

Reaction score
With my lights on: when I shut off the car and proceed to kill the lights, they still stay on (even though the switch is in the off position) so I have to turn on the parking lights and turn them back off in order to make the lights go off.

It doesn't do this if I turn off my lights before shutting off the engine.

Is this some feature or did my car ride the little yellow school bus?

thanks!

- alex

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a standard feature on the KJs. If you turn off the lights after the ignition they will reset to low beam (if they were on high beam that is). Don't worry, they'll turn off after about three minutes.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That a feature so you can see to get in the door of your house. If you have the evic you can turn it off. If not, then i dont know. I turned it off. I can see fine. 8-[

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try pulling your parking brake. Turns mine off even if it's running.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MTL_Liberty said:
When you lock the doors with the remote, they should turn off.

Try pulling your parking brake. Turns mine off even if it's running.

Neither of those will work in the 05. I have an 05 renny, manual transmission, so I always use the parking brake and always lock with the remote. I have the EVIC and it has a setting for 30, 60, or 90 seconds of headlights after you shut the ignition off. I know older cherokees had that feature, too, because I once spent 5 minutes in a friends cherokee trying not to leave their lights on.

If you intentionally leave your lights on and shut the ignition off, they will shut themselves off after 5 minutes (same with interior lights, even if a door is open). Not sure if the same applies to the lightbar on the roof, but I hope it does, that would eat a battery fast. Engine should really be running if you intend to use the car as a super-flashlight for more than 5 minutes.

Once you know that the feature is there, it's fine - especially knowing about the extra 5 minute timer for if you do actually leave the headlight switch in the on position. I should probably turn the feature off, though, since where I park now, the headlights only light up the car in front of me and doesn't help find the door at all.

MTL_Liberty

Reaction score
tried it a bunch of times....still stayed on...It actually happened a few days ago..

could be cuz you have day time running lights?...

I forgot the U.S. models don't have daytime running lights. That could explain the difference. :-k

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '06 Limited the lights will turn off immediately if the ignition is off and I turn the lights on and off once.

gigijen22

Reaction score
Ok, if you turn off the lights before you turn off the ignition, you will not have this problem. If you turn off the lights AFTER you turn off the ignition, they will pop right back on for a little while as a safety feature. Simple explanation, and I like the option depending on where I am.

'02 KJ

Latest posts

Members online