What to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kjjeep05

Reaction score
I'm going to be looking at an 05 this week, it is at a dealer so i would like to know what specifically i should check out/watch out for? I really appreciate any help, i have owned jeeps in the past but never anything this new.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What kind of miles?

Check the history report...and if we're talking more than 40k old, look at the maintenance records.

Other than that, give all the doors a good opening/closing (make sure there are no rattles)...check under it, and if it's a 4x4, make sure that works.

Welcome btw...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Some things to look for are:

ball joint condition
make sure the windows work( window regulator problems are common)
make sure the electric cooling fan works
and of course like HJ said..check the drive line

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One more...in the Salt Belt states, check the area around the 3rd brake light and the ends of the roof rail mounts for rust.

Kjjeep05

Reaction score
i have seen the history report, 1 owner 42k miles, just haven't seen it in person yet.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more...in the Salt Belt states, check the area around the 3rd brake light and the ends of the roof rail mounts for rust.

and open the glass gate, and look in the crease above it, where the weld joints are, thats another area prone to salt corrosion from the aerodynamics of the vehicle

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check for vibrations in drivetrain. Pay attention around 20 - 30 MPH and 45 -50 MPH. the first you will feel it in the whole vehicle and the second seems to be from the front which is usually CV joints.
I say this because of the experience I had test driving KJs. My '03 had these infamous vibrations and all of the KJs except for the one I have now did it too. Some worse, some not so bad.