What to add for a home made tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Her Jeep

Reaction score
We just bought a 2011 KK with a 3.7 automatic and I don't know therear end gearing yet, that will come. But I want to add all the coolers and such for towing. I know a few years ago you could get an after market kit from Chrysler but not today from my searching. So just some suggestions on what to add to save the ****** and the engine, maybe even a higher capacity alternator. We will be dragging around a small popup (1200lbs or so) and maybe some day a hole in the water. A dream list would be great. Thanks.

Ted15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2^
Jeep Liberty Trailer Hitch Receiver, Hitch Ball and Wiring Harness.

http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/instructions/82210988AB_hitchreceiver_IFU.pdf

The wire harnesses are also listed in one if the links. The OEM stuff costs a little more but it's well worth it. I think I read somewhere that there's a clutch fan as well but if the engine isn't getting warm I wouldn't worry about it. The A/C condenser has the ****** cooler and it's big enough, especially for a pop-up or a boat. Use the mopar seven pin wire harness, you'll be much happier. There are circuit breakers and relays built into it and the install isn't bad at all. Everything you need is included. I put the same set-up on mine to pull a 2000 pound pop-up and the only issue I had was because if the weight of it and sway control. Absolutely no overheating. Let me know if you want info on a small weight distributing hitch. Reese makes the perfect sized one for giant pop-ups and there is sway control built in.

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 kj and bought a Curt hitch on an auction site for $17 and a Mopar wire harness from the dealer for about $100. Both were easy install, the harness was basically plug and play, with the removal of the tailgate sill and rear inner panel to gain access to a wire harness that was just hanging there. I tow a small aluminum boat, 6x10 utility trailer and a pop up camper as well.

Ted15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 kj and bought a Curt hitch on an auction site for $17 and a Mopar wire harness from the dealer for about $100. Both were easy install, the harness was basically plug and play, with the removal of the tailgate sill and rear inner panel to gain access to a wire harness that was just hanging there. I tow a small aluminum boat, 6x10 utility trailer and a pop up camper as well.

Does this one have the flat plug or a round one. The reason I ask is if you have to activate and power electric trailer brakes, you'll need the round one and it runs all the way up to the battery with the actuator wire penetrating the firewall on the drivers side. The one that goes through the firewall connects th the brake controller.