What KJ is best to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zadavidspencer

Reaction score
I have to replace my old KJ(accident) RIP. and I'm looking at 2006 2.8 CRD Sport or 2006 3.7 Renegade? or is it a bad time to buy a liberty? the dodge nitro is almost out and the new liberty will follow

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, cost certainly won't be an issue for fuel (is it still R4 a litre over there?)... I think diesel suits me nicely though...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
or is it a bad time to by a liberty? the dodge nitro is almost out and the new liberty will follow

if they will make any major changes to the new liberty, I think they will try to melt their '06 stock, so for this KJ you might end up getting a crazy deal. After all it will probably the same KJ 06 or 07 unless as I said if they don't make some crazy adjustments.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 is when the new liberty is suppose to be released.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but it is still year end. I got mine in November, and it was the end of the year model, and I believe I got a teriffic deal at the time. Although all other models/makes year end is around august-sept.. DC is a bit late with liberty, as always.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be a little nervous about the Diesel

Excellent torque aside...

I would be a little nervous about the CRD... I've heard that the dealers are not very skilled/knowledgeable on supporting that engine and it is of course being "phased out" with the 2006 model due in part to the new diesel fuel ULSD regulations quickly approaching in 2007.

From what I've heard the CRD engine isn't on the same level as the well revered VW TDI engines.

Most CRD owners on the board do seem to really enjoy their CRD's however... and I've heard of people shoving the CRD into other jeep models.

moose

Reaction score
I've got an '06 Renny 6spd that I love (except for the ESP), but I'd go with a CRD unless you want the wrangler looking front end. The Renny roof racks only hold about 1/3 what the sport's can, and the OEM rock rails aren't worth the investment. you can add the light bar on your own if you want. I do love the pickup of the 3.7 though (nice and peppy as a manual - not sure about autos).

Apollo

Reaction score
ENBr said:
Well, cost certainly won't be an issue for fuel (is it still R4 a litre over there?)... I think diesel suits me nicely though...

We wish R4 its upto R7.09 For unleaded and R7.34 ULS diesel.

Id say stay with with the KJ and if you not sure buy one per owned with 15 000km on it from a Jeep dealer you'll still get the factory warranty plus an extended limited warranty and the full 60 000km service plan! you know how bad the resale is on a new one is? so if your not happy with the KJ when you can sell it and not lose R70 000 a year on a new one like i am ](*,) give them a call they'll fall all over you to buy one they standing all over the place! Bryanston Jeep have 18 or so. 011 317 5000,

O:) good luck

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apollo said:
ENBr said:

Wow! That was quick, when I left (about a yr ago, i think it was 4 or 5.

Looks like a good incentive to come back has gone!

That's about 80p (British) isn't it, or a bit more, like 85 for petrol?

Apollo

Reaction score
ENBr said:
Apollo said:
ENBr said:

Looks like a good incentive to come back has gone!

Hey its about R14 to 1 pound! so if you got a lot of pounds you'll be rich!

(bling)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Remember, fellow Americans...

He's in South Africa. Everything changes with anything diesel when you step out of North America.

So I'd say the dealers will be more than helpful with that engine and all related parts if something happens to break.

Apollo

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Remember, fellow Americans...

He's in South Africa. Everything changes with anything diesel when you step out of North America.

So I'd say the dealers will be more than helpful with that engine and all related parts if something happens to break.

I agree with you on this 100%! 30% of your cars here in SA are diesel and is close to 60% of 4x4s are diesel. I can say that last year we run out of unleaded fuel at a lot of filling stations and they still had diesel fuels. There is not a filling station that does not stock diesel. All our dealers from Jeep to Hyundi are well versed in diesel engines.

There are no plans to end the KJ CRD here as a matter of fact is the top selling Jeep and second is the CRD Grand Cherokee.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about UK, but definitely on mainland europe cars and offroaders and almost all diesels.

R14 to the pound! Cool, only problem is we need money from SA ](*,)

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the recent diesels are designed to run on ULSD as Europe has had it for years, it's the US that's behind everyone else.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw that the new Diesel for the Cherokee is going to be Mercedes built... that sounds like a good trait to me.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
feetwet said:
Saw that the new Diesel for the Cherokee is going to be Mercedes built... that sounds like a good trait to me.

Isn't it already? :-s