turn signal stalk broken...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixpot

Reaction score
Hi Folks - newbie here - apologies in advance for the stupid questions I'll no doubt be asking... (biggrin)

We've got a 2002 KJ and it rocks! It's our first Jeep and we're very impressed. =D> [-o< So far it's been totally solid but my wife recently caught her jacket on the turn signal stalk (well that's her story.. :-k ) and the left signal now won't stay engaged. In fact you have to keep it pressed hard down and wobble it around to make contact.

I'm reasonably adept at wrenching and haven't had a look at it yet, but I was hoping that one of you good folks could pre-warn me as to how hard it might be to pull it off and fit a new one? Is it as simple as a couple of screws and a connection plug or will I need to take half the car apart and break out the soldering iron?? 8-[

Cheers!
Luke

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's mostly how I drive and use the turn signal anyway. :) I rarely engage the clicker down while turning or changing lanes. I keep thinking it will brake one day.

As for the job, it depends on exactly what is broken, it might as well be just a spring and dislocated joint, unless the the arm hangs down :)

sixpot

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I hear you.

The main reason I haven't looked at it yet is because we bought a bumper to bumper warranty and as far as I'm concerned it should be covered and fixed by someone else. I have enough 'rolling projects' going on without taking a 'new' vehicle apart (biggrin) However I just rang up the stealership and it sounds like they're going to try to wriggle out of it. Frankly I just want it fixed asap as it's really irritating. If I have to do it then so be it...

Cheers
Luke

2003KJ

Reaction score
First off, (welcome)!

Second, if you got it from a dealer, which it sounds like, and they're trying to wiggle their way out of doing a warranty repair, I think it's time to raise a little hell, wouldn't you say so?

sixpot

Reaction score
Thanks Tim. I've been looking around this afternoon and this is a great forum!

Yes, if the dealer won't honour the warranty then I'm going to be very, very p'd off indeed - they'll know all about it. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt at the moment as they've recently merged and I suspect that the (admittedly very pleasant) girl on the service booking desk wasn't all that familiar with the various warranty schemes. We'll see. I'm just doing some research - you know how it is ...

Cheers
Luke

2003KJ

Reaction score
sixpot said:
Thanks Tim. I've been looking around this afternoon and this is a great forum!

Yes, if the dealer won't honour the warranty then I'm going to be very, very p'd off indeed - they'll know all about it. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt at the moment as they've recently merged and I suspect that the (admittedly very pleasant) girl on the service booking desk wasn't all that familiar with the various warranty schemes. We'll see. I'm just doing some research - you know how it is ...

Cheers
Luke

Oh yeah, I think we ALL know how it is with stealerships...

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you end up having to replace the stalk yourself it's not a hard job at all. A few screws and it pulls right off. I installed the Mopar foglight kit and it came with a new stalk assembly for the foglight switch. If you don't have foglights a used stalk without that switch should be easily had. I think my original one is still in the garage someplace.

There are a few diagrams showing how to remove the stalk in the Mopar foglight instructions.

sixpot

Reaction score
Hey guys, many thanks for your support and help. Mick, those instructions are really helpful - much appreciated.

I'll let you know how it goes. They've actually just called me back to say they're sure it will be covered so maybe they're one of the better ones. I've heard that miracles do happen, it's just that they never happen to me... (biggrin)

Cheers
Luke

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He can't use that, not barring that he has fog lamps as well, which that one does not support. He has an 02, and that is an 03-05. The part number on that one is 56010125AF. 02 Parts are:

56010125AD 1 Without Fog Lamps
56010126AD 1 With Fog Lamps

Whether that revision number will come in to play, I don't know. In theory, they are the same part, but the revision number AF may have made it incompatible with the 02s.

Plus he said the dealer may be fixing it under warranty, anyway.

edit: Nope, there is no superceding part to AD in the Chrysler Electonic DB, so the AF revision is one made for subsequent years, not as an update to the 02 part which is still retroactively compatible.