Tuning thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trailing off of this thread: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47829

I'm starting a new thread as I go through this.
So far: stock '04 3.7/42RLE 3.73 rear, no performance mods.

Just loaded the 87 octane custom tune and went for a decent drive to try it out. DEFINITE difference. I know stock these things are cammed to make more torque higher in the power band, but now it pulls harder and shifts better. Whenever you would let off the gas and then press down a gain there would be this light thunk. I spent hours underneath it about 25,000 miles ago trying to figure out what the hell that was all to no avail. Now the thunk is gone.
So to summarize: better acceleration & while the tuner says he can't do anything to the trans itself, it feels like its shifting different/better, all on regular gas. So we're going to drive it this way for awhile and see what happens. Few hundred or thousand miles down the road and I'll switch to the 93 octane and see what happens, then if I ever get off my ass and actually do some physical perf mods, they should complement the tuning. Also have a perf towing tune to try out as well.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome!! glad to hear it. I'll live vicariously thru your experiences for a while...and see if anything breaks....before I try this on my own :D

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First update: trying to get into crowded traffic wasn't something I was comfortable doing before, as sometimes it felt like it the Jeep couldn't get out of its own way quick enough. Not anymore. Now you stomp on it and don't have to worry about someone flying up your ass.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder how your tune compares to the hypertech.

I almost got to find out, but they I guy I paid for one, his labrador retriever got a hold of it and used it for a chew toy. I've been keeping an eye out for another one.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First update: trying to get into crowded traffic wasn't something I was comfortable doing before, as sometimes it felt like it the Jeep couldn't get out of its own way quick enough. Not anymore. Now you stomp on it and don't have to worry about someone flying up your ass.

Nice to hear you're having good luck with the tuner. I always thought about getting one but was never to sure about. I've had my eye on a roof rack with some lights for a long time now :) hehehe

I've never had a problem getting in and out of traffic with Jeep. Hell I out ran a wannabe street racer 3 times from light to light about two weeks. Just shows his car is all show and no go but supports my evidence that KJ has some more power compared to vehicles that people normally think are fast.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear you're having good luck with the tuner. I always thought about getting one but was never to sure about. I've had my eye on a roof rack with some lights for a long time now :) hehehe

I've never had a problem getting in and out of traffic with Jeep. Hell I out ran a wannabe street racer 3 times from light to light about two weeks. Just shows his car is all show and no go but supports my evidence that KJ has some more power compared to vehicles that people normally think are fast.

I'd like to get my hands on a pair of 05+ cams, the newer engines have a bit more cam to them than the 02-04's (also more compression).