TSB for Stumble/Hesitation/False DTCs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucky957

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else has seen this. My 2004 KJ is experiencing the symptoms described in this TSB. The repair procedure is to reflash the PCM with a firmware update. I plan on taking my KJ to get the PCM reflashed ASAP.

NUMBER: 18-017-04 REV. A

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: June 15, 2004

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 18-017-04, DATED APRIL 20, 2004. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES ADDITIONAL MODELS.

THE SOFTWARE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON TechCONNECT ON JUNE 15, 2004 AND FOR MARKETS OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, THE SOFTWARE AND REPROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON ITIL/ISIS DVD AUGUST 2004.
SUBJECT:
Flash: 3.7L Driveability And OBD II Monitor Improvements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:

**2004 (AN) Dakota**

**2004 (DR) Ram Truck**

2004 (KJ) Liberty / Cherokee

NOTE : This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.7L engine (sales code EKG) and built on or prior to the following dates for each respective model: Dakota (AN) built on or prior to April 20, 2004 (MDH 0420XX), Liberty/Cherokee (KJ) built on or prior to April 01, 2004 (MDH 0401XX), or Ram Truck (DR) built on or prior to April 13, 2004 (MDH 0413XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

This bulletin addresses one or more of the following conditions:
1. Driveability (All Domestic and International Markets)

a. Eliminates stumble and hesitation when shifting between gears aggressively (this condition applies only to KJ with manual transmission).

2. OBD II Monitor Improvement (All Domestic Markets and ONLY International Markets with OBD II Monitors - Europe)

a. Erroneous DTC P0116 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Performance.

b. Erroneous DTC's related to the Misfire Monitor.

c. Erroneous DTC's related to the Oxygen Sensor Upstream or Downstream Monitors.

d. Erroneous DTC's related to the Fuel System Upstream or Downstream Monitors.

DIAGNOSIS:

Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII(R)) with TechCONNECT or the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.

If the vehicle operator describes or experiences one or more of the above conditions perform the Repair Procedure.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen this before. It cost me $70 and didn't change anything. My problem was O2 sensors. Are you getting the P0300 code? If so I would suggest replacing your upstream O2 sensors. Use NTK sensors only.