****** Stuttering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsstover

Reaction score
Hi all. I have an 03 auto and have noticed that every now and again I will get a little shudder from the rear end. This only happens when starting from a complete stop and usually making a turn, and only once while in reverse. It only lasts for a second or two, but enough for me to notice. I have 37K on her and just had the stealership do an inspection just before this started. They stated all is well no need to change any fluids especially since its a lease. Any ideas? Thank you! Appreciate any replies.

jsstover

Reaction score
Also in selectrac full time, do any of you notice the engine having to work a little harder or some extra noise when accelerating? Binding isn't the word I am looking for....but its a feel and a sound that lets you know you are in full time.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hm, i get a sort of stutter when im making a fast stop (coming from moderate speed and stopping fairly hard....)
****** not shifting down fast enough...(or what others have told me anyway)

never experiened what you have mentioned...could be the torque converter...?....

when this occurs are you in 4 full time?....

and that noise you hear, when in FT.....could just be the transfer case.....

sorry, cant be more help...

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jsstover said:
They stated all is well no need to change any fluids especially since its a lease.

All the more reason to avoid purchasing any previously leased vehicle IMO.
Greg

2003KJ

Reaction score
From what i've read on various posts, the shudder, especially in reverse, is quite common on the KJ's, more so the 42RLE automatic's (april(ish) 03+++ build dates). Seems very common while parked on an incline and trying to back up, sometimes even on flat surface. Problem is the ****** pump is having a hard time picking up fluid. Do a search on here, I know its been covered in more detail.

On the 4x4 noise question, the noise(s) you're feeling and hearing are more than likely the front driveshaft spinning (cause you're in 4x4 mode) and the t-case. From what you described, they sound normal.

Since you said it's a lease vehicle, I would DEFINATELY change ALL fluids. Front and rear Axle, Transmission (axles and ****** most importantly). Probably woulnd't hurt for a coolant flush as well. You don't know how its been treated in the past, so why take the chance. Make sure you use the proper fluids recommended in your owners manual (if you don't have one, feel free to ask which types of fluid go where and i'd be more than happy to pull the info out of my owners manual). Chrysler ******'s seem to be pickier than other manufacturer's on which fluid they like.