TPS / check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveD

Reaction score
During the last two weeks I have had my check engine light go on intermittently? It seems like when the light goes on it is on for a couple of days before it will go off.

I made sure I checked and tightened the gas cap which did not seem to make the light go out. I then stopped by a local auto parts store and they checked the ODB code which was a 123 TPS – Throttle Position Sensor – Sensor A – Circuit High Input.

I decided to order a new TPS, which I has not come in yet but that same day I filled my gas tank and the light has been off since. So, I guess I am wondering if the ODB reading was correct.

When I get the TPS I will likely install it but I am wondering if it is the real problem.
My liberty is a 2002. Has anyone out there had to replace their TPS? If so, is there anything I need to be aware of? The sensor seems easy enough to get to so I assume it will be an easy job.

SquirrelWJ

Reaction score
Although I have a different vehicle, I have had issues with the TPS on my I6.

TPS is really simple, so no real surprises with it. Mine likes to cause me problems now and then, but I just unplug it and reset it when it does that too me. Typically saves me trouble for another few months until I'm exceptionally ******* the Jeep again and it pops back on. Although it only started doing this to me ever since the FIPK...

Replaced it after I got my CEL to flip on twice because of it, haven't gotten it to come back on again, but I haven't really tried either. O:)

Edit: Little trick next time - I know this works for the Grands, not sure about the Liberties, but try cycling your ignition to the ON position (but don't crank it over) three times and look at your odometer. You should see codes pop up on there. It saves you the trouble of going to a shop next time, as you can find the codes online.

DaveD

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will give the ignition trick a try the next time the CE light appears.

2003KJ

Reaction score
It's real hit and miss with that trick...i've heard of a few people getting it to work on their KJ's, but the majority couldn't.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
It's real hit and miss with that trick...i've heard of a few people getting it to work on their KJ's, but the majority couldn't.
They don't do it right.

With that said, with my '06, it doesn't work. Darn.

DaveD

Reaction score
Well the CE light finally came back on, so I replaced the TPS. It was an easy job but you need to have a Torx size 20 screwdriver (or bit) to get it out. As soon as I replaced the sensor the CE light went off.

BTW. the ignition key trick works on my 02 Liberty. It seems you need to turn the key to the pre-ignition setting, wait about 1 second, turn it back to the off position and then repeat the process. On the third iteration the code will appear.

Latest posts

Members online