towing a zj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sd89gta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

been gathering info on putting a zj on a dolley, some people say I need to remove the driveshaft, others just say put the transfer case in neutral.

I'm driving about 2700 miles, so I think just to be safe I'll take out the drive shaft. The question is.... how do you do that? Is it a one person job, and do I need any special tools? Thanks for any help.

-

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey,

been gathering info on putting a zj on a dolley, some people say I need to remove the driveshaft, others just say put the transfer case in neutral.

I'm driving about 2700 miles, so I think just to be safe I'll take out the drive shaft. The question is.... how do you do that? Is it a one person job, and do I need any special tools? Thanks for any help.

-

Should be ok with t-case in neutral.....but whatever makes you feel comfortable.

As far as removing the rear DS, should be just a matter of 4 bolts at the rear diff yoke where the DS is attached, take the bolts out, tap DS on the cups in the yoke and pull the DS out of the ******. You may want to plug up the tailshaft of the ****** when you pull the driveshaft out, prevent fluid leakage...especially when the front will be raised on the dolly.

Last edited:

sd89gta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright,
rolled underneath it earlier and saw the four bolts, looks straight forward. Probably leave the shaft on then in case we want to cruise around a city we pass through though. Thanks for the info.