towign trailer, pops flasher fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my trailer wiring on my liberty since April. Its the simple plug and play 4prong harness with no splicing required.
I have towed many trailers various distances with no issues until this past sunday.

Sunday morning I was towing my my atv on a small trailer with only two lights on the back. I hit the turns ignal and popped a fuse. I stopped replaced the fuse and popped it again about an hour later.
Again repalced it and it lasted the rest of the tow to the location and the tow home.

This morning I put a differant traile behind it. First time I hit the turn signal it popped the fuse. Repalced it and so far its lasting.

I spoke with someone at work the other day that tows a trailer with his KJ, and he ahs ran across this same issue.

Anyone know what the problem is?

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isnt a short in the trailer wiring,After making this post I went and hooked up my car trailer that I ahve towed with it several times with no issues and instantly it popped the fuse. Thats 3 trailers that have popped the fuse. The first was a brand new trailer that was bought 2 weeks ago.

2006 KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know for older vehicles you have to get a "heavy duty" flasher relay for some wiring harnesses. however i dont think the KJ has one.. or atleast i couldnt find one in the fuse box under the hood or in the jeep. good luck :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know for older vehicles you have to get a "heavy duty" flasher relay for some wiring harnesses. however i dont think the KJ has one.. or atleast i couldnt find one in the fuse box under the hood or in the jeep. good luck :)

I think I read in the owner's manual that it could be needed. I don't see how that would blow the fuse though, would it? I would think the light flashing timing would be off but that's it.

Gringo Loco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check if one of your wires hasn't come loose and is sitting on your exhaust. This happened to me and I was popping fuses when I was turning right.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of harness is it? Is it the type that hooks right onto the tail light wiring or??

The type that plugs right into the stock harness behind the paneling in the cargo area is the best. I wouldnt use one that didnt get power directly from the battery/ground..

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no pinched or bare wires. fuse popped today without a trailer plugged into it.

I am using a drawtite plug and play setup ( as already said) it plugs into the tail light harness.

The wiring is big enough to handle the 30amp fuse without any issues no worries there.

If there is a short it is mos tlikely inside the taillight converter box that is in the trailer wiring.

From what I read others have had this issue with non chrysler wiring harnesses. Looks like I'll be upgrading.

Last edited:

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no pinched or bare wires. fuse popped today without a trailer plugged into it.

I am using a drawtite plug and play setup ( as already said) it plugs into the tail light harness.

The wiring is big enough to handle the 30amp fuse without any issues no worries there.

If there is a short it is mos tlikely inside the taillight converter box that is in the trailer wiring.

From what I read others have had this issue with non chrysler wiring harnesses. Looks like I'll be upgrading.

If you blew a fuse without the trailer connected the Drawtite plug and play looks like the problem, I agree the converter is most likely the root of your problem. A 30 A fuse would need a #10 copper wire for the circuit.

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it today when removing the harness. I found a really small black/burned spot on the left turn/brake light wire comming out of the converter box. Upon inspection I found a crack in the insulation and it looks like its been pinched.

A month or so ago I back into a rock and caved the corner of the rear bumpe rin, I used a pry bar to pop it back out and most likely pinched the wire when doing so. must have finally made enough contact to cuase a short.