Tow Package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eastmr2

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a Diesel Liberty, but I living in MA (where you can't or at least couldn't sell diesels new) I don't have a big selection to choose from.

So... I want to be able to tow small things, and was wondering what came with the Liberty tow package, and if I found a Liberty without a tow package, can I just slap a hitch on or do I need to do other things like a trans cooler, etc?

Thanks!
-Joe

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
In the case of the Liberty CRD, all you need is the hitch and wiring. It comes with all of the extra cooling and such.

DOC4444

Reaction score
Ditto what previous poster said.

I'm also in Mass. You can register ANY diesel vehicle in Mass as long as it has at least 7500 miles on it. (We picked up our '05 Liberty, used, in Kansas.)

Only the '05s were available with a rear limited slip ("TrakLoc"), but many do not have it. You need to get a DCJ dealer to run a "VIP Report" using the VIN to find out exactly what the vehicle you are interested in was built with. They added "traction control" in '06 and eliminated the LSD option. This is done using the ABS and can result in as few as one wheel actually being powered in slippery condtions. (You can add one of several types of aftermarket LSDs to either an '05 or '06, but it will run you $1500 to $3000, depending on your choice.)

If you find yourself in a wet field with a 4500lb horse trailer, as we often do, with an '05 with TrakLoc, if you lightly apply the handbrake, you will have true "three-wheel drive" to get you going (i.e. 2 rear wheels and 1 front wheel).

The only small downside to '05s is that many have a weak fan clutch which results in overheating when towing heavy in hot weather. Easily fixed with a new CRD fan clutch from any DCJ dealer. (I paid about $135 for mine, not hard to install. See my post on the "other" site for details.)

Best of Luck

DOC

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Ditto what previous poster said.

I'm also in Mass. You can register ANY diesel vehicle in Mass as long as it has at least 7500 miles on it. (We picked up our '05 Liberty, used, in Kansas.)

Only the '05s were available with a rear limited slip ("TrakLok"), but many do not have it. You need to get a DCJ dealer to run a "VIP Report" using the VIN to find out exactly what the vehicle you are interested was built with. They added "traction control" in '06. This is done using the ABS and can result in as few as one wheel actually being powered in slippery condtions. (You can add one of several types of aftermarket LSDs to either an '05 or '06, but it will run you $1500 to $3000, depending on your choice.)

If you find yourself in a wet field with a 4500lb horse trailer, as we often do, with an '05 with TrakLoc, if you lightly apply the handbrake, you will have true "three-wheel drive" to get you going (i.e. 2 rear wheels and 1 front wheel).

The only small downside to '05s is that many have a weak fan clutch which results in overheating when towing heavy in hot weather. Easily fixed with a new CRD fan clutch from any DCJ dealer. (I paid about $135 for mine, not hard to install. See my post on the "other" site for details.)

Best of Luck

DOC

That's interesting about the-brake trick. I gotta try that!!

Members online