Tow Hook install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of install a rear tow hook. But I have a question. There is one bolt closest to the rear bumper on the driver side with some sort of clip that I can get out. How do I get this thing out? Pics below:

This is the bolt:

You must be registered for see images attach

Zoomed out image:

More zoomed out image:

BTW, I don't have a skid plate installed.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Where is that? Can you take a more zoomed out pic? Ive never seen that bolt before?

thats the underside of the rear. I never had a problem with mine when i removed it to put on my hitch.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! I never had that on my vehicle...Was that bolt always in there like that? You may need to get yourself a breaker bar and try to muscle that thing loose....

The clip thing....not even sure. Let us know what you try to do!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
WOW! I never had that on my vehicle...Was that bolt always in there like that? You may need to get yourself a breaker bar and try to muscle that thing loose....

The clip thing....not even sure. Let us know what you try to do!

Ive not either? Ive been under there many times and Ive never seen it? Ive put a htich on and gastank skid..

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the clip is not welded to the frame, it just threaded onto the bolt. I was worried if I remove the bolt I wouldnt be able to get the clip out. To get the bolt out mean I have to hold the clip with a flathead screwdriver while I ratchet out the bolt.

So the you only had three bolts holding the tow hook in place? Because if you look at the tow hook there are four bolt holes.

The second pic of the rear how hook.
http://jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4859

Nobody has seen the bolt or clip? This is really wierd! :-s

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
Well the clip is not welded to the frame, it just threaded onto the bolt. I was worried if I remove the bolt I wouldnt be able to get the clip out. To get the bolt out mean I have to hold the clip with a flathead screwdriver while I ratchet out the bolt.

So the you only had three bolts holding the tow hook in place? Because if you look at the tow hook there are four bolt holes.

The second pic of the rear how hook.
http://jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4859

Nobody has seen the bolt or clip? This is really wierd! :-s

Three bolts is correct. I got tripped up when I went to install mine as well. However, I don't recall a hole drilled for me anyways where the 4th connection could be. Here's the instructions that also indicate only three bolts: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82206125.pdf

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Three bolts is correct. I got tripped up when I went to install mine as well. However, I don't recall a hole drilled for me anyways where the 4th connection could be. Here's the instructions that also indicate only three bolts: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82206125.pdf

I'll 2nd that, three bolts on mine from the factory. Lol Weird.

Maybe DC had to cut back on bolt expenditures. =D>

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is wierd, the bolt/clip was already installed in there. If I take the bolt out I lose the clip inside the frame b/c there is no acess hole.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a problem. I just got a Kobalt impact wrench 350 ft lbs. from Lowes. I couldn't get the bolts tightened all the way by hand or with the impact. I tried grease and WD40, they just won't go in! ](*,) Any ideas?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
I got a problem. I just got a Kobalt impact wrench 350 ft lbs. from Lowes. I couldn't get the bolts tightened all the way by hand or with the impact. I tried grease and WD40, they just won't go in! ](*,) Any ideas?

Sorry I would have posted if I saw this earlier.

You must have crossthreaded the bolts.

This usually happens when you do not hand thread the first 15-20% of the bolt in by hand.

However, I had crossthreaded the bolts(same as used on the hooks) on my hitch while installing it and my kawasaki 250# electric impact cut those suckers a new hole like cake.

If this is the case, it will be evident on the bolt/nut. You will see lots of shiny new metal where it began to cut a new thread.

In most cases a cross thread is unfixable. Your option are usually, replace the hardware with new or keep turning it till it cuts all the way through(Which is maybe a 50/50 chance that it will work, or you might just destroy the pieces).

Since the nuts for the rear are part of the frame you are in a pretty hairy situation.

Maybe someone on the forum has some metal working expertice that could come in handy here?

Got a picture of the bolt in its current position?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
I switched one of the bolts around and it went in. I got 2/3 bolts in. I probably get a new grade 8 / 18mm bolt.

A messed up bolt aint bad at all. Home depot carries grade 8.