Syntheic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have full synthetic oil right now and its getting close to the 3k mark. Do i need to change it or does the syntheic last longer. Will it make a big difference if i dont go full synthetic next time.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing oil @ 3k miles with synthetic isn't necessary, unless you drive in very dusty conditions (drive several miles on dirt road every day?). Most manufacturers recommend oil changes on new vehicles around 8-10k miles with synthetic. I normally run my vehicles 4-5k on a synthetic change...but i'm kind of **** and Tucson is a really dusty place.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also depends on the quality of the synthetic oil & the filter you are using. What brand oil & filter are you running?
For example, Mobil 1 Extended is usually good for 10-15,000 miles while regular Mobil 1 is good for around 5-6,000. If you run Amsoil and their Ea. series filter you will be good for up to 25,000 miles.*
Naturally, running a good air filter is also helpful in keeping your oil clean and w/ that said, stay away from K&N as it is not very good at actually filtering until it starts to load up.

*Doing oil analysis on your oil can help you to determine how far you can really go on an oil change. It is most worthwhile when you are looking at running the best syn's and extending beyond 25k miles.

It generally isn't a good idea to switch back and forth from Syn to regular oil as it isn't helping your engine. You should ask yourself why you are running synthetic to begin with. If you plan on keeping your vehicle for a Long time and as many miles as you can squeeze out of it then it is definately worth while to run the best synthetics you can and they will save you a good amount of money in the long run. If you are just planning on selling or trading in the vehicle after a couple years then it might not be worth the added short term expense. (Though running extended service intervals w/ Amsoil products is generally cheaper than shorter intervals w/ an inferior oil & filter)

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ yes good point. I always run Mobil 1 here. Cheap synthetic oils are...well...cheap and break down sooner. Make sure you run an oil filter meant for the additional miles. A good synthetic oil blend is going to outlast the filter. I would never run 25,000 miles no matter what oil it is...I simply wouldn't trust the filter.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
indieaz said:
^ yes good point. I always run Mobil 1 here. Cheap synthetic oils are...well...cheap and break down sooner. Make sure you run an oil filter meant for the additional miles. A good synthetic oil blend is going to outlast the filter. I would never run 25,000 miles no matter what oil it is...I simply wouldn't trust the filter.

FWIW, the Amsoil Ea series filters have been tested to 25,000 miles w/out any problems. That being said, I personally go by the Severe service schedule which is 15,000 miles or one year. I have yet to go 15,000 miles in a year though as our driving is split between a couple vehicles. It sure is nice only doing one oil change per vehicle per year though.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change every 3k regardless...it's not like the oil breaks my wallet enough to have to extend it. To me a little overkill is better than much more expensive trouble later on. I change at 3k mostly because of the filter, but I think it would be safe to go 5k between changes with good oil/filter, but I just choose not to do so. Even at a 3k change, it's noticable how much smoother the engine feels after the oil change.

If any of you guys want your oil analyzed check out http://www.blackstone-labs.com They generally charge $20 for the analysis, and will send your the kit for your oil to be bottled and sent back in for no charge. It is also a good way to diagnose problems with an engine without even taking it apart, as they break down the oil and will list all of the contents, with explanations for abmormal contents.

Here's a scan of one I had done, which confirmed a head gasket leak in my old truck when I was losing antifreeze, but could not find a leak.

You must be registered for see images

Riv's Papaw

Reaction score
OK...If one chooses to delay changing oil because synthetic allows it, how are warranties effected? From my experience the warranty companies demand that oil be changed every 3000 miles or any engine problem is not covered. ](*,)

ender00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
y e a

Its Valvoline's basic synthetic. Not sure which filter they put in but i believe i still have the recipt. My drving up at school is not very extensive. From what i can figure i get prolly get through the winter. gonna stick with synthetic for sure. im gonna have the jeep forever so i want to keep it running as long as i can. i think im going to have to change the filter possibly.

2003KJ

Reaction score
If you've just switched to synthetic, and bought it used, i'd start with changing i at 3K intervals for the first couple of times.

Short distance driving with standard oil tends to cause sludge build up inside the engine. Switching to synthetic will break down this sludge, and while thats a good thing, if there is an excessive amount, it's not un-heard of for the chunks of sludge to get clogged up inside the filter...and you obviously don't want that.

Check your oil often after you first switch over. You'll probably notice it get real dirty, real quick. You might even have to change it early, and that's ok. After a couple of runs with synthetic, you'll begin to see it lasting longer.

That being said, I switched mine over to Mobil 1 10W-30 Fully Synthetic about a year ago, and it has been one of the best decisions i've made about taking care of my Jeep. I know Amsoil is a great product from all the harping on it that JJ does (just messin with ya dude \:D/ ), but i've got zero complaints about Mobil 1, and the best place to get it is at wally world (comes in a convenient 5 quart jug!)

As far as filter's go, I highly recommend the Napa Gold line. They're manufactured by Wix (very well known in the oil filter world, and very good quality). Cost me about $6 and some change. STAY AWAY FROM FRAM!!!! [-X