Speedometer/Tachometer Inop on delivery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys-

First off, the thread on the water stopping the sepantine belt was quite amusing, props to the respected members for their answers =D>

I have a question driven purely from curiosity, since it happened when I first picked up my Libby 3 months ago. I went to take delivery and while the dealer was reviewing all of the features with me, I noticed that with the engine running, the tach was at 0. After a quick test drive around the block (the vehicle was brand spanking new), we also determined that the speedometer and odometer were dead as well.

It was a Saturday with a union shop (no mechanics working on weekends), so they told me to go home and they'd call if they could get someone to come in and fix it. A few hours later, got the call and all was good.

My question is, what exactly was this problem and how did they fix it?

I should also note that I worked in the transportation department at my university a while back and we took delivery of a new chrysler sebring that also displayed the same fault. I had to drive it back to the dealer with no speedometer on the highway (that was interesting to say the least). Anyway, having seen this problem before, I wasn't worried that the Jeep was a lemon. So, anybody know about this issue?

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I was unclear, I meant that since I've seen this problem before from DC, I'm pretty sure that it's somewhat common and my jeep is not a lemon. I am curious if anyone else had seen this though and what the fix is. I think I recall hearing something about the speed sensor or cable not being hooked up, but I can't remember for sure.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MadDog said:
Sorry if I was unclear, I meant that since I've seen this problem before from DC, I'm pretty sure that it's somewhat common and my jeep is not a lemon. I am curious if anyone else had seen this though and what the fix is. I think I recall hearing something about the speed sensor or cable not being hooked up, but I can't remember for sure.

First time Ive heard of this happening on a brand new jeep, but Im sure it was just something with the speed sensor like Marlon said. It is ontop the rear diff and could of just been unplugged. How many miles did the Jeep have on it when you first picked it up? Didnt happen to be 0 did it?

Ive noticed that many things are left unplugged on new DC vehicles. A main vacuum hose was unplugged on my Brand new libby when we first got it home. It probably would of been left like that till this day if I wouldnt of caught it. Sucking dirty air into the engine.

Just few weeks ago, my parents bought a brand new Grand Cherokee. One of the fog lights didnt work. I was checking it over and the stupid thing wasnt even plugged in! Why the dealership didnt PDI that Jeep whehn they got it off the truck, I dont know. :-s

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Jeep actually had 4 miles on the odo when I picked it up. But it was mostly wrapped in plastic when I first decided to buy it the week before, so I know it didn't really go anywhere.

As far as things being unplugged, it sounds like vehicles come from the factory with certain devices/cables not hooked up and the dealer is responsible for connecting some of these items. It sounds to me like it was just something that was missed in the pre-delivery checklist. Of course, this is all assumption, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. So it probably was just the speed sensor. Is the tach covered by the same wire-set also? That would explain things.

Jeepster: The fact that your vacuum hose wasn't hooked up properly is a big problem, getting unfiltered air in the engine. How did you pick that one up, was there a symptom or just something you noticed while looking?

Marlon: Couldn't have said it better, consider yourself lucky!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Probably just a bad speed sensor. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about your Jeep being a lemon just yet.

A speed sensor would cause the speedo to not function, but is not related to the tach.

Probably somebody forgot to plug something in on the back of the dash. If they got it fixed and you've not had any other problems, I wouldn't worry too much about it. \:D/

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
MadDog said:

First time Ive heard of this happening on a brand new jeep, but Im sure it was just something with the speed sensor like Marlon said. It is ontop the rear diff and could of just been unplugged. How many miles did the Jeep have on it when you first picked it up? Didnt happen to be 0 did it?

Ive noticed that many things are left unplugged on new DC vehicles. A main vacuum hose was unplugged on my Brand new libby when we first got it home. It probably would of been left like that till this day if I wouldnt of caught it. Sucking dirty air into the engine.

Just few weeks ago, my parents bought a brand new Grand Cherokee. One of the fog lights didnt work. I was checking it over and the stupid thing wasnt even plugged in! Why the dealership didnt PDI that Jeep whehn they got it off the truck, I dont know. :-s

Why wasn't it PDI'd.. cause the PDI guy gets the same paycheck if he does a good job or a bad job. like everything else in the world.. nobody really cares. -- Lewis Black

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MadDog said:
Hi Guys-

First off, the thread on the water stopping the sepantine belt was quite amusing, props to the respected members for their answers =D>

I have a question driven purely from curiosity, since it happened when I first picked up my Libby 3 months ago. I went to take delivery and while the dealer was reviewing all of the features with me, I noticed that with the engine running, the tach was at 0. After a quick test drive around the block (the vehicle was brand spanking new), we also determined that the speedometer and odometer were dead as well.

It was a Saturday with a union shop (no mechanics working on weekends), so they told me to go home and they'd call if they could get someone to come in and fix it. A few hours later, got the call and all was good.

My question is, what exactly was this problem and how did they fix it?

I should also note that I worked in the transportation department at my university a while back and we took delivery of a new chrysler sebring that also displayed the same fault. I had to drive it back to the dealer with no speedometer on the highway (that was interesting to say the least). Anyway, having seen this problem before, I wasn't worried that the Jeep was a lemon. So, anybody know about this issue?

They prolly forgot to reset the computer.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your KJ was probably the last car built on a Friday. :-$
You are in the MOPAR world, your car will have strange problems ](*,) Good news is that after owning 4 mopar vehicles (5 if you count the TC3 my wife had before I met her) The KJ is the best quality of the bunch. I do wish a different company had bought AMC.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
Nothing was unplugged on that Nitro my mom test drove on Saturday.

But that was the demo vehicle! (whistle)
Heh, oh no, she specifically requested the Khaki SLT with the entertainment system... and wasn't leaving until she got keys for it. Too bad she STILL can't buy it just yet...

2003KJ

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Marlon_JBT said:
Nothing has ever been unplugged on any of our Jeeps.
Maybe you guys are just unlucky? Nothing was unplugged on that Nitro my mom test drove on Saturday.

talkin to your self again marlon? (biggrin)