Speaker/Sub Installation Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yomomma7826

Reaction score
So I own a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited with the stock sounds. Not the premium. I understand how to install the speakers and all. But what i don't understand is, say i buy some FAIRLY good speakers (except tweeters, dash looks complicated to me being a 17 year old) Which would be cheaper? Buying a new radio? Like a new deck. Or should I keep the stock radio, install two amps, one for sub one for speakers. and just unhook the tweeters? Because currently im lost, ive only installed my brothers 2 12" subs in his 02' blazer which was pretty easy, i just need advice on what to buy, and what would be the cheapest.

Also, i know most decks come with an equalizer that can tune out the bass from the speakers and give it all to the sub, thats what i want so i dont blow my speakers.

So can anyone give me any tips, or a complete walkthrough of what i would need to buy and how much it would cost, i would lover for it to be as cheap as possible. Thank you in advance :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Non-premium setup will not have much of a difference with aftermarket head unit. Are you sure you have non-premium?

Aftermarket radio will be nice, will have additional features, and will have more control over your sound, so you can have better sounds from stock speakers.

Sub installation is also very straight forward, but with stock radio you need to run line level input, while with aftermarket h/u, you can run RCA leads to sub if you have dedicated sub out.

You can score an older model Kenwood for $100 with dedicated sub outputs, and run power to your amp and add sub to begin with, and tune down bass from fronts.

For new speakers if you have non-premium, it is really just swapping speakers and running on amps.

Yomomma7826

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure I don't have premium sounds, because the front left speaker is blown, and I always kept the bass down, and never "blasted" my speakers. If I was to keep the stock head unit, would it be more complicated than using a aftermarket? Because although, I believe I can wire and install everything, I would rather do less work than needed, but I am willing to do anything to go the cheapest route, is there a list of things items that I would need in order to do this? I just want to have a little thump and some crisp highs, so I figured I'd just replace the front speakers and then add a 8" or 10" sub in the back.

Not asking for a DETAILED tutorial, but maybe point me in a direction to which way would be the cheapest and point me towards all the items I would need.

Thanks in advance :D
-Chad

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do not have premium system, it would not be more complicated. It is simple swap.
If you have premium speakers (with amps in front doors), you need to do a bit more than that. I suggest you find that out first. Two-ways on front doors and a small amp in the rear will help. If you have stock radio (or plan to keep it) factory sub under the front seat will also work, you can get one used online, but not sure about availability/shipping to HI.

Yomomma7826

Reaction score
ok, so What would i need to look for since i have the stock ones in speakers, for the front doors, like wattage and size, i heard they are 6.5"s but thats all i know

Reaction score
Non-premium setup will not have much of a difference with aftermarket head unit. Are you sure you have non-premium?

Aftermarket radio will be nice, will have additional features, and will have more control over your sound, so you can have better sounds from stock speakers.

Sub installation is also very straight forward, but with stock radio you need to run line level input, while with aftermarket h/u, you can run RCA leads to sub if you have dedicated sub out.

You can score an older model Kenwood for $100 with dedicated sub outputs, and run power to your amp and add sub to begin with, and tune down bass from fronts.

For new speakers if you have non-premium, it is really just swapping speakers and running on amps.

an aftermarket headunit will put more power out compared to a line out converter. it will sound better also.
best thing to do is do it right and get a new indash

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i purchased an after market HU from the guy who posted right above me, using that along with the stock speakers and i'm very happy, the HU makes all the difference

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have an aftermarket HU with the stock speakers and the sound difference is amazing. I bought new speakers to put in because I was ambitious but I didn't have time to get them in and I really don't think I'm missing much.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have an aftermarket HU with the stock speakers and the sound difference is amazing. I bought new speakers to put in because I was ambitious but I didn't have time to get them in and I really don't think I'm missing much.

Heh, you are just like me.. I did the same thing, I am like "come on, how much better can it be?" On same stations with R&B etc, stuff i don't really listen to, it sounds amazing (stock speakers) or I should say "sounded amazing" until both door speakers blew (driver side for 2nd time). But really, the tweeters, no matter how crappy they are, they sound great.. On the other hand, you all have to consider he has non-premium setup, so it may not actually be much better with aftermarket head unit.

jjr110481

Reaction score
i upgraded my HU and all 4 door speakers for under $200 bucks pretty cheap considering its an infinite improvement
Sony MEX-BT5700U
Clarion SG1(front)
Kicker KS600(rear)
OEM tweeters
i got my subs for free from my girlfriends dad who was holding them for someone and wanted them out of his basement....
2 10" Kenwood Tsunamis
Sound Ordnance M1350 700w mono
it sounds unbelievable

jjr110481

Reaction score
haha i forgot to mention my point.... you can upgrade HU and replace factory speakers easily and inexpensively

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
i upgraded my HU and all 4 door speakers for under $200 bucks pretty cheap considering its an infinite improvement
Sony MEX-BT5700U
Clarion SG1(front)
Kicker KS600(rear)
OEM tweeters
i got my subs for free from my girlfriends dad who was holding them for someone and wanted them out of his basement....
2 10" Kenwood Tsunamis
Sound Ordnance M1350 700w mono
it sounds unbelievable

All those speakers powered by H/U? I don't see any amp.. other than sub's.
Did you run tweeters parallel to front clarions? are they two ways or just plain woofers?

jjr110481

Reaction score
Yep the doors are all run from the HU....55wx4@4ohms.... I am planning on upgrading the tweets soon, my next project will be the"big 3"

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you got H/U powering all fours + dash tweeters.. that's cool.
Did you use existing wires for the swap?

jjr110481

Reaction score
Yeah used the existing wiring, but my plan is to upgrade that when I get a 4ch to power the doors

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted. :)

sp3ct3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Money where it matters

It took me a little over a year of having my liberty to decide I needed a new stereo set-up. I bought a $300 Alpine head unit, so expensive because of the equalizer and its all digital media sources (AKA NO CD player). Right away my stock, and I'm positive non-premium, speakers sounded sooo much better, even the bass in my sub-less car was fuller, but definitely not as full as it should be.

My set-up stayed the same for over another year and during which I would ride around with my buddy in his Dodge SRT4 that had a mildly priced Jenwood head unit from Circuit City, about $100, one, or maybe it was two, Sony Xplod 12" sub(s), and an amp I can't remember specifically. The thing about it is that his car came with aftermarket speakers in the doors. I can't tell you what part of the equation was to blame, but it sounded hooooorrible. Muddy bass, sound levels just all screwed up, we'd miss half the song.

Now I have two 12" Infinity subs and an Alpine Amp and my system sounds awesome. My only problem now are my tweeters, because now that I have proper bass, I need some "chirpier" tweeters to really define those highs. I'm not bumping down the street but I have been known to startle people at stop lights, but it's all crystal clear even at ridiculously loud volumes.

I went through all of that to give a background to my opinion. A good head unit, not just a decent one, is a huge step in the right direction if you're concerned with sound quality, and especially if you plan on adding aftermarket speakers or subs because they include more particular sound controls.

And finally, Craigslist! Automotive audio equipment is the most popular item on CL it seems, people are aaalways selling something. You can find awesome deals depending on the equipment.

Latest posts

Members online