Skid vibrations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I installed engine, transmission and transfer case skids on my KJ yesterday. They all work great, but I forgot to "adjust" the transmission skid and it vibrates a little bit on the exhaust. Aside from being a little annoying, it won't cause any problems will it? I'll take it back off and pound it up a little when I get a chance, unless I am at risk of messing something up. Thanks for the help folks!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldnt cause any problems. The exhaust may need to flex alittle when the engine twists and that would keep it from doing that. Im probably just thinking to much though. O:)

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'm having the same problem after our Livingston trip. I think my skid got "displaced" just enough to contact the exhaust. I don't think it should be any problem. Mine also is constantly louder... i think because the exhaust and skid are in constant contact it's allowing the sound to resonate through more of the vehicle.

Reaction score
jerbacher said:
Mine also is constantly louder... i think because the exhaust and skid are in constant contact it's allowing the sound to resonate through more of the vehicle.

I know! It actually sounds kinda cool sometimes. O:)

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(rotflmao) Ha ha! Yeah, until you realize that it sounds like that cause its put together wrong!!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jerbacher said:
Actually, I'm having the same problem after our Livingston trip. I think my skid got "displaced" just enough to contact the exhaust. I don't think it should be any problem. Mine also is constantly louder... i think because the exhaust and skid are in constant contact it's allowing the sound to resonate through more of the vehicle.

Ahh, thats why you thought you had a leak.. O:)

You need to take it off and hit that area with a sledge hammer some. That way you can take some of those washers out. O:)

Reaction score
Fixed! Nothing a sledge hammer couldn't remedy. One of the damn nutzerts popped out though... now I'm only rolling with three. Oh well... it's in the back. Should be fine.

Reaction score
Not a thing... it's touch enough that you can just pound the hell out of it and not have to worry about that.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BLS WA Chapter SDMF said:
jerbacher said:
Mine also is constantly louder... i think because the exhaust and skid are in constant contact it's allowing the sound to resonate through more of the vehicle.

I know! It actually sounds kinda cool sometimes. O:)
I think it also has something to do with the skid plate reflecting the sound up toward the cab - I noticed it when I first put mine on and I was thinking 'WTF!?!?!' Now that I don't have my ****** skid on I kinda miss it...