Servicing the ******

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be heading up to Wisconsin in about a month (leaving from north Georgia) and have gotten most of the servicing taken care of on the Libby. I lack servicing the ******, diffs, and a couple new tires.

I'm not going to attempt the ****** on my own, but I wanna buy the stuff needed for servicing it and take it to my mechanic, that way I lone it gets the right fluid and so forth. I'm going to have it drained and refilled and a new gasket/filter/anything else required. How much ATF+4 do I need, and what do I need as far as filter/gasket/etc.? Also, what do you recommend for oil in the diffs?

The Libby is an 04, 3.7L, auto ******.

Thanks for the insight!

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you for changing and doing the serviceing, its always a good thing to change oil and and coolants and plugs. Doing the ****** however is a different breed of cat, if you know that the interval for changing ****** fluid has been adhered to then change the fluid and filter, if not then dont, your jeep has over 80k on it with a hitch, the ****** fluid should have been changed already. What happens over time, and when the fluid is not changed, varnish builds up inside and keeps the seals from leaking, when fresh fluid is put in then that varnish disappears and then in due course leaks start to begin, both internal and external. This ****** with some quirks, Chrysler got right, one of the few they did. Call around to some ****** shops, if they are reputable they will tell you the same thing. Good luck with your trip to cheesehead country

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did the plugs, they looked as if they had been changed on time, they weren't overly gapped, and a couple had almost no gap past the factory specs. The oil and coolant also didn't appear to have gone long intervals without replacement. Would those be good enough indicators that the ****** has probably been serviced before? All appearances and actions seem to indicate regular maintenance, but it's hard to always tell. Ry, I have a good mechanic who won't rob me blind, that's why I'm trying to avoid the stealership.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did the plugs, they looked as if they had been changed on time, they weren't overly gapped, and a couple had almost no gap past the factory specs. The oil and coolant also didn't appear to have gone long intervals without replacement. Would those be good enough indicators that the ****** has probably been serviced before? All appearances and actions seem to indicate regular maintenance, but it's hard to always tell. Ry, I have a good mechanic who won't rob me blind, that's why I'm trying to avoid the stealership.

The dealer has the right equipment to do it properly. If your mechanic has the flushing machine, then great but that is highly unlikely. They pump new fluid in while letting the old out and they don't stop until the new comes out so that the whole system is completely flushed. Then they do a transmission relearn to the computer. The transmission will relearn its shift points. Its a good time to drive it the way you like so it adjusts to you real good.

Anyway, it worked for me and it shifts pretty good.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
...Ry, I have a good mechanic who won't rob me blind, that's why I'm trying to avoid the stealership.

Exactly what Rockymountain said.
That's why I suggested the dealership as most non dealership repair shops don't have all that high end specialized equipment.
It's worth the added cost as its less costly than having to replace a transmission.