Serious fan vibrations...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed lots of vibtation in my 06 renegades steering wheel today while on a 5 hour road trip. It would stop at high speeds. When i got to my destination i began to trouble shoot. First thing i did was turn the ac off. Kept doing it and then the vibrations stopped. Turned the ac back on and it would start again. I figurri had it figured out so we hope in and go to grab a bite with the ac off. After sitting at a light it came back on. I got back and checked thinfs out again. Seems that when the electric fan goes to high speed i am geeting major vibrations. This would explain why i thought it could have been the ac since it seems to kick the fan into high whnever it is on. Anyone. Ever dealt with this or have a solution? Thanks for any advise.

Ps... Im on my ipod since i am miles from a real computer so please excuse any grammer or spelling errors

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it fixed last night. Pulled the fan off and noticed the huge amounts of dried red clay built up in the motor housing and around the fan. Clean everything as good as i could and greased up the fan motor housing a bit and the problem stopped. I have been in the nc mountains on my honeymoon since the prolem started on monday so when i get home this weekend im going to take it all apart again and recheck things

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Got it fixed last night. Pulled the fan off and noticed the huge amounts of dried red clay built up in the motor housing and around the fan. Clean everything as good as i could and greased up the fan motor housing a bit and the problem stopped. I have been in the nc mountains on my honeymoon since the prolem started on monday so when i get home this weekend im going to take it all apart again and recheck things

So the electric fan was just out of balance Eh?

clauserg

Reaction score
Hello... I don't know if RenegadeBullitt still has the KJ.. my KJ 2006 is having this issue with the electric FAN and it is driving me crazy... I replaced the electro motors 2 times and then I bought the whole fan assemblywhich came with the fan direction backwards and I had to dissasembly the fan and reinstall it and I have the same problem... didn't try the fan asssenb;y when out of the box so I don't know if the dissasembly ***** things up with the balance... Once mounted the vibratuon ots terrible... it vibrates the dashboard the steering wheel and it does sounf like a damaged old rattle fan...don't know what else to do

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.
This thread discussion is about the rad cooling fan in the engine bay.
I assume you are talking about the dash blower motor fan correct?

clauserg

Reaction score
I;m sorry for not being more clear about my question... I'm talking about the electric fan in the engine for those KJ equipped with the mechanical and electric fans to cool off the engine

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. Your jeep has the heavy duty cooling package then, with viscous fan/clutch assembly & includes a larger fan shroud.
What brand & part number in the electric fan did you purchase?

clauserg

Reaction score
This is the motor

This is the whole fan assembly with motor, although I bought it on another on-line store and it was just the fan with the motor not the whole enclosure

In both cases the vibration exists and I tested them outside the engine and applied 12VDC and yes the vibration is produced by the fan nomatter if it is the old one with the new motor or the one that came as an assembly... I did remove the fan blades and reposition them into the star shaped motor shaft to see of it vibrates less and I did achieve an improvement but is like there is some cushioning missing in the whole fan asssembly neded to avoid passing the vigrations to the radiator and the whole car....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My 04, single electrical fan has a 3 wire fan connection. You have a 3.7 engine? 3 wire ? (see attach image)
It has a low speed which it mainly runs at, and rarely ever on high speed. I have seen it kick into high but only for a short duration.
When on high, I do not have these extreme vibrations. Applying 12 volt directly probably places your fan to high.
Mixing motor & blades etc, hmmm..
The best solution may be to buy a quality, complete electrical fan assembly for your 2006 KJ.
Here is the 2006 fan listing from rock auto. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...214,cooling+system,radiator+fan+assembly,2181

Attachments

• Electric Fan Control Jeep.jpg
    Electric Fan Control Jeep.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 2

clauserg

Reaction score
Thabks... mine has only 2 wires so it is a one maximum speed fan. Since my Liberty is the Sport model maybe that's why it is one speed

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what's going on ...Driver's Door sticker, what is date of manufacturing?
According to the 06 Factory manual, it should have a 2 speed fan as standard equipment.
Factory service manual under cooling & electrical is here: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2006-KJ-SM.pdf
Image of Fan relays on mine also attached.

Attachments

• 2006 2 Speed Fan.jpg
    2006 2 Speed Fan.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Fan Relays.jpg
    Fan Relays.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 4

clauserg

Reaction score
Ok ok let me give you more information about this Jeep... it was not sold in the United States.. it was assembled in Venezuela where I live so maybe the KJ Sport Model delivered for Venezuela had only 1 speed... I know that the luxuty model (Liberty Limited) does come with the 2 speed fan

clauserg

Reaction score
By the way if you read the posts here from the user RenegadeBullitt he had the same exact issue than mine but he claims that it was becuase the fan was dirty and I'm sure the issue came back days after he cleaned up the fan and thinking that was fixed... I don't know if it is something with the fan itself that gets unbalanced even though may be clean and I searched the internet looking for an answer and nobody mentioned such issuse except for this discussion

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is interesting news. Is there a manufacturing door card, when you open the door, with tire pressure, manufacturing date etc?
If so, Please attach an image of the Drivers door sticker.

Last edited:

clauserg

Reaction score
Goo dquestion... the tire preasure information sticker is located at the bottom of the glove's compartment and it doesn't say anything about the manufacturing date although the car's registration states that it is a 2006 Liberty Sport

Latest posts

Members online