Rolling backwards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While in San Francisco yesterday, I went up and rolled backwards on all of the hills... unless I would two foot it. (which really annoys me since I have an Automatic) I thought jeeps were supposed to stick where you put them... even on city hills. Rolling back never happened with my wrangler. It's really dissapointing. :-k Is there ANY way to fix this?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
My liberty does that as well. Unfortunately, this is the case with a lot of vehicles and there is nothing you can really do about it.

My YJ wrangler used to do it as well.

What's interesting is the higher end cars, like the BMW 745, have automatic parking brakes that prevent it from happening.

Bennett

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the hills in SF, I'm not surprised. The one time that I drove in SF was with a MT. I got rather good with using the parking break to drive!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Mine does that. Must be the weight of the vehicle. Doesn't irritate me that much, just give a good tug on the e-brake (kind like if you were driving a 5 speed).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Mine too. I read on another site that it has to do with the stall speed of the torque converter is higher than the idle speed. I just use quick feet. Of course, there are no hills here, but there can be quite a bit in the hilly regions.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Mine too. I read on another site that it has to do with the stall speed of the torque converter is higher than the idle speed.
I second that... from what I've heard it's just because there's not enough torque created at idle to pull the vehicle forward (or keep it from rolling back on hills). It has to do with the torque curve of the vehicle and the stall convertor that is chosen for the job.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it too. Never worried about it because my last vehicle did it too, plus there isn't too many hills around here.

5characters

Reaction score
My 2010 focus does this too, it is because there is no 'hill asset' witch is like an auto parking brake from what I understand, but I like it, make the person behind me, who got a little too close, nervous. Revived.