Replacing a Single Fuel Injector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boxbuster

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty with close to 150k miles. My main question for now concerns removal of the fuel rail. I've watched a Youtube video where the rail was completely removed with all injectors still attached. Since I will likely only be replacing just one injector, can I remove the clips for each injector (so the injectors will stay in and not be "unseated"), lift the rail off, then just pull the #1 injector, replace it and then reinstall the rail over the other injectors and use new orings in the rail?
Background: I have a fuel injector that I believe is "stuck open". I am getting a P0201 and P0161 codes .The injector wire plug itself checks out and appears to be working as it should (steady power, pulsing ground when checked with a probe light). When hooked to the ODB reader in Live Mode, I can see that my Bank2Sensor2 is staying around the same level as the others, so I'm guessing it's throwing a code due to the rich fuel condition. I will be checking continuity on the injector itself tomorrow, and I fear the worst. Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading and any advice you can give me!

KJCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll find it much easier to go ahead and free all six injectors with the rail and replace your #1 injector with the rail out. Those injectors seat snuggly in the intake ports but take quite a bit more force to remove them from the rail itself. I'm not saying it's impossible with the way you want to do it, but if I was replacing just one injector, I'd pull them all with the rail.

If one of your O-rings remains in the port, just pull it with some tweezers.

Having said that, now I remember pulling the rail from an '04 KJ recently and leaving a few of the injectors in the ports because they were stuck HARD!

Good Luck, buddy! I've pulled the rail from my daughter's 02 KJ, 3.7L V6 several times and always take the injectors with the rail. A little wiggle and they pop right out. Then, after getting the clips off, I use a medium set of channel-locks and a ton of grunt to get them out of the rail.

boxbuster

Reaction score
Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I thought getting them off the rails would be easier than trying to dislodge them from the engine, but it sounds like it's just as difficult - maybe even more so! I had read a post about breaking those clips that hold it to the rail, so thats another concern I had.

KJCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for explaining this to me. I thought getting them off the rails would be easier than trying to dislodge them from the engine, but it sounds like it's just as difficult - maybe even more so! I had read a post about breaking those clips that hold it to the rail, so thats another concern I had.

When I get the rail out of the '02, I gently, but with mild force, pry the clip off of the injector with a small flathead screwdriver and I usually use a reacher-mag so they don't fly across the room incase I launch one....LOL...

If you get a clip a little out of shape, you can straighten it out and reinstall it.

Daughter's '02 KJ 3.7L V6 has a little over 125K on it and on her second fuel rail. Long story....don't ask....LOL.

boxbuster

Reaction score
Oh Ok. I'm glad they can be straightened out if bent up. Having the magnet handy is a great idea too because with my luck, it would go flying and I would never see it again!
Sounds like your daughter is really getting the most out of her Jeep (thanks to good ole Dad!) LoL
What a lucky gal she is!!!
Wish my Dad was here in Bama to help me with mine!