Removing Broken Locking Lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GA05SPORT

Reaction score
:confused:
OK...well I have some ideas of my own but I thought I'd also consult the experts. Have a set of the Mopar locking lugs like the one shown below and had one suffer collar failure (area around the lock index on the lug broke/snap/f'ing fell apart). Was torquing by hand with a four-way prior to dropping the floor jack for final torquing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Of course this would be right before all the pieces of the lift kit finally arrive and I have a long weekend to do the install. This happened when I took the fronts off to pound down the pinch welds and chop up the plastic fender inner liners.

Yeah, I wasn't about to not drive around with those sweet Moabs and my 245s. Anywho....

I heard this faint cracking and sure enough had to tap off the locking lug key to have most of the collar surrounding the index fall off. GREAT!

Now I've decided to cover as much of the Moab as possible with duct tape prior to attempting this removal any other suggestions or words of wisdom?

Also do you think I could get a local dealer to replace these things? ( I didn't buy them retail put have all the packaging)

AND what do you think about this style lug nut..

Commonly referred to a open spine. Tunerish I know but I'm kinda liking.
(Not offended by others opinions.)

Last edited:

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what do you think about this style lug nut..

Commonly referred to a open spine. Tunerish I know but I'm kinda liking.
(Not offended by others opinions.)

Am also interested with these, the same one actually. Been looking out but am trying to think of that would be safe as the diameter of the lugs are 4 mm smaller than the stock.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually that is hard to get off due to how the lug is recessed into the Moab Rim. Sears sells removers for those since you can't get in there with a big pair of vicegrips or a pipe wrench.

Or, you can go to any tire shop, garage, or dealer that does tires and they can get it off. A Mopar Dealer might even have a key since they are Mopar. The Mopar ones are made by McGuard if it makes a difference.

I took mine off and stopped using them. I wish someone would steal all 5 of my 17" OEM chrome rims so I will have an excuse to get some soft 8's.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Actually that is hard to get off due to how the lug is recessed into the Moab Rim. Sears sells removers for those since you can't get in there with a big pair of vicegrips or a pipe wrench.

Or, you can go to any tire shop, garage, or dealer that does tires and they can get it off. A Mopar Dealer might even have a key since they are Mopar. The Mopar ones are made by McGuard if it makes a difference.

I took mine off and stopped using them. I wish someone would steal all 5 of my 17" OEM chrome rims so I will have an excuse to get some soft 8's.

Dave

That can be arranged Dave!:D

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't know if you have a Discount Tire near you, but they can do it. The did a few for me last month when I lost the key. sad2.gif

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many times have your keys stopped your rims from being stolen? I tow several cars a month bc people get flats and "i left the key at home" or "i dont know where it is"

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I had a similar thing happen on my Dodge Neon.
I went a little barbaric and grabbed the wheel and gave it an abrupt yank and just broke
the the stud off and... Bingo, the wheel came off!
Replaced the stud and... Used copper slip so the lug nuts wouldn't sieze again!
Oh Oh... What did I start again with using copper slip on my wheel studs?:D
Hmmm... :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen on my Dodge Neon.
I went a little barbaric and grabbed the wheel and gave it an abrupt yank and just broke
the the stud off and... Bingo, the wheel came off!
Replaced the stud and... Used copper slip so the lug nuts wouldn't sieze again!
Oh Oh... What did I start again with using copper slip on my wheel studs?:D
Hmmm... :D

"copper slip".....is that "anti-sieze"....never heard that term before.

So...Socks.....you put what on your studs...:eek:......:D.......haha

Dave

GA05SPORT

Reaction score
Well so far NomadKJ's suggestion is looking like the best for me. Both the lock GoodYear ( which has been very good previously ) and the Discount Tire (new store) were clueless about what to do ( without wanting to charge me between $10 -$30 per lug ). Looks like the lift will have to wait. Wonderful!

GA05SPORT

Reaction score
OK.. well problem resolved..thanks for all the tips.... local tire dealer ( Kauffman ) actually came thru... $30.00 ( including the one I had put on the spare ) and I was back home in less than an hour.... AND the lift is now on as well... LONG DAY.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^good.....glad you got them off. Also now you know which local tire place knows what they are doing .....for future reference when you need tires.

Dave

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost a key and just made a flat on each side of the lug with a grinder and got it off with a spanner.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
How many times have your keys stopped your rims from being stolen? I tow several cars a month bc people get flats and "i left the key at home" or "i dont know where it is"

Or accidentally leave the lock on the lug after tightening the wheel... and then drive away. :eek: