Redneck Air Fresheners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, because I was sick of the paint smell left in the KJ after being in the body shop for two weeks, I got ambitious and decided to try and make myself some air fresheners. They've been working fairly well, so for anyone out there who is feeling creative, this is what you'll need if you want to make some:

a) Paper towels
b) Your choice of perfume or body mist (since most of you folks here are guys, I would suggest something fruity/citrusy rather than flowery like I used)
c) A small cardboard box with a removable top (you can buy different shapes of boxes at your local craft store)
d) String or ribbon of some kind (I used decorative pearl string for mine)
e) Hot glue
f) Tape
g) A pin or needle
h) Anything else you might want to decorate the box

So basically, the length of time it takes you to make these will depend on how much effort you want to put into decorating them.

First, take your box and put the top on if it isn't already. Use a piece of scotch tape and attach the top so that it won't fall off when hanging. For mine, I only attached it on one side, so that the tape formed a sort of hinge. In this way you can still open it when needed.

Using the pin, poke many little holes through the cardboard to provide vents through with the scent can pass.

Decorate the box however you want. Paint, color, etc., but just make sure the holes aren't completely covered, or the scent will be trapped in the box.

Using hot glue (I found this to be the easiest to work with, because it dries so fast), attach a loop of string, ribbon, or whatever you decide to use to the box so that you can hang it. Make sure the loop is big enough to go over the mirror if that's where you're planning on hanging it. I found that works the best, because when I turn the defrosters on, the scent gets blown around =]

Next, soak a single paper towel in the perfume, either by spraying it or just soaking it in the liquid itself. I would recommend doing this outside, or you'll choke yourself and your family like I nearly did when I did so =P

Once the towel is saturated, stick it in the box and close it up. From here on out you can hang your handmade air freshener where ever you want it, be it in your KJ or somewhere in your house. It may take a little bit more to make them, but it's a fun little way to personalize your Jeep a little bit more. =]

You must be registered for see images attach

A very crappy picture, and a quickie decorating job, but at least it smells good!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow....you are way too creative. You should cut out a jeep out of cardboard, paint it to match your jeep, and dip it or spray it in cologne.

I would just roll up one of those dryer freshener squaire thingies and stick it in one of the dash heat/air vents.......either that or stuff a dirty sock in it...depending on the desired fragrance of course......:D

Dave

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha--yes, I was mostly just bored this weekend, and the paint smell was getting to me. 24 hours with the windows open and it STILL smelled like paint. And I could have just gone to walmart to buy one, but I was lazy, tired, and I had the stuff at home already. I'll probably do a nicer one and later on =]

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha, thats some funny stuff. Personally Ive never used air fresheners in my Jeep but for some unknown reason Im currently using a freshener by Tyler candles.. Been wanting to get their clothing wash but havent gotten around to it.. Its only $25 for 32oz.. :)

http://www.englishrose.com/tycacoau.html

Got Cowboy in there right now.. Wonder how that Beach Blonde Smells.:D

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol! I finally broke down and bought one at Walmart today since I had to stop and get food for my bird anyway. They even had the vanilla sugar scent like I have in my home made one, so now my truck smells REALLY good =P Better than paint, anyway...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I use a small square piece of Redwood and then add a few drops of Cedar oil.
I stapled a piece of self adhesive Velcro (just the "hook" side) and then place behind the center console and the Velcro sticks to the carpet. Run the heater and the car smells good!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a small square piece of Redwood and then add a few drops of Cedar oil.
I stapled a piece of self adhesive Velcro (just the "hook" side) and then place behind the center console and the Velcro sticks to the carpet. Run the heater and the car smells good!

Socks....that is a great idea. You could probably put any fragrance on the redwood.

Dave

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stale beer is a fav.

like when your friends try to show you how cool they are at the tailgater' and break the neck off a beer bottle on the door clasp. spewing beer all over the front seats... yeah... That was the 2nd day I had my jeep.

:eek: