Recovery hooks/shackles or front hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowerss2

Reaction score
i like shackles, less chance of slipping, can be stronger then a hitch, as long as you install them right.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shackles if you like your jeep to look like a bull with a ring up in the nose :p
Hooks if your a fan of Peter Pan :)
and hitch for that xtra damage to the ditch when u dump it, loll...
Ok, ok just trying to get some smooth mood going :)
Would go for the look altogether with the rest of the jeep .... If your jeep is lifted and has nice offroad tires and all go shackles, if not go hooks... front hitch if you have another use for it ... if not, i dont think i would go that way .... money / usability thing ...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put front OEM hooks on mine.

But ........I think a front receiver hitch would be better with a shackle in it. The reason I am saying this is because the hitch would be bolted to both frame rails and with a shackle on it, when you used it as a pull point it would spread the load and take more stress than if you had hooks and hooked a strap to one of the hooks.

That said, I have been pulled out of a mud pit with a recovery strap on my drivers side hook with no drama.

Dave

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it also depends on what you "setup" is lift non lift, off-road, street.. and so on.
personally i went for the rugged look and i installed shackles for two reasons. I didn't want to shell out $80-90 on mopar hooks. when i could make my shackles for $65 and be way way stronger. I've been snatched very ******* these and they haven't budged at all.

You must be registered for see images attach

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hooks
OEM mount
OEM style
straps with no metal in/on them
I am ok with shackles but dont ask me to fool with them on
a muddy trail because I will not
and if they are stuck or rusted I also will not fool with them
I am not a fan of the receiver shackle at all
the pin is the weak link and is not made to hold the force that it will see with a good tug ,should you have it strapped to the front of another rig and the pin give the guy in the other rig could die at the very least the rig will suffer some major damage
a shackle alone will go through sheet metal fairly easily
happened when I ,not knowing any better, allowed 2 straps to be joined by a shackle
and 1 of the 2 straps break and hit my tail gate ,gate was destroyed like it had a hole in it and would not open

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got two shackles on the front Backbone and both a tow hook and tow eye for the rear receiver with a custom made tool steel hitch pin.

Hows that backbone treatin ya ryan? been thinking about either that or go all out with an ARB...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hows that backbone treatin ya ryan? been thinking about either that or go all out with an ARB...

The install was very straight forward and it is a very stout
piece of equipment.
My winch mounted to it with no issues what so ever and the
whole setup looks really smart.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow late afternoon...
I still have yet to decide as to where I'm mounting some of my
extra lights.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The install was very straight forward and it is a very stout
piece of equipment.
My winch mounted to it with no issues what so ever and the
whole setup looks really smart.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow late afternoon...
I still have yet to decide as to where I'm mounting some of my
extra lights.

ha yeah I've seen the pics of your "collection"

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
front hitch and plus i have used one of those baskets on it to load things on the front!