Rear Transfer Case and Front Crankshaft Seal Replacement 06 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06GreenLiberty

Reaction score
Hello all,

I purchased an 06 Liberty with 96,000 miles this spring, and when I recently took it in for an oil change they found leaks around the engine and transfer case and recommended cleaning it up and putting dye in both to determine exact source of the leaks. I agreed to this, and took it home to drive for a week since the leaks weren't showing up after they ran it for a while at the shop. (I crawled under there several times over the week and slowly began to see seepage underneath the front crankshaft and around the transfer case, but I've never had any drops on the ground where it is parked.) When I returned to the shop and they took another look, they said I needed rear transfer case and front crankshaft seals, and quoted me $618 for the rear transfer case seal, snap ring and boot and $563 for the front crankshaft seal replacement with the timing cover gasket. These estimates seemed high from what I've seen online, so I took it to another shop for a second opinion and that mechanic said he wouldn't replace them right now, and that sometimes replacing the seals will call another seal to start leaking. I'd like to drive this for awhile and don't mind putting a little money into it if it's the smart thing to do, but I also don't want to pay too much for repairs that aren't that really necessary. Any opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

BackRoadEnthusiast

Reaction score
Hello all,

I purchased an 06 Liberty with 96,000 miles this spring, and when I recently took it in for an oil change they found leaks around the engine and transfer case and recommended cleaning it up and putting dye in both to determine exact source of the leaks. I agreed to this, and took it home to drive for a week since the leaks weren't showing up after they ran it for a while at the shop. (I crawled under there several times over the week and slowly began to see seepage underneath the front crankshaft and around the transfer case, but I've never had any drops on the ground where it is parked.) When I returned to the shop and they took another look, they said I needed rear transfer case and front crankshaft seals, and quoted me $618 for the rear transfer case seal, snap ring and boot and $563 for the front crankshaft seal replacement with the timing cover gasket. These estimates seemed high from what I've seen online, so I took it to another shop for a second opinion and that mechanic said he wouldn't replace them right now, and that sometimes replacing the seals will call another seal to start leaking. I'd like to drive this for awhile and don't mind putting a little money into it if it's the smart thing to do, but I also don't want to pay too much for repairs that aren't that really necessary. Any opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Definitely high- your probably paying more for wrench time. You could probably buy the parts from a used auto parts store for half that price if your capable of doing the work yourself.