rear noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys, i have had a knocking noise in the back of my kj it sound almost inside the libby but not yet, i thought its was the boomerang so i got rid of it and the noise was still knocking after that, then i thought it was the rear axle but the axle was fine ( the normal tire side to side movement ), i was getting real pissed off because this noise and it sounded at first when i noticed it like the rear shocks bushing but the bilsteins where 1 month used at the time so i discarded that possibility but when i was "giving up with the noise" i noticed the guys that installed my lift didnt use the little steel cylinder that comes with the biltein bushing kit so, finally :sleepy:, my question is can the rear shock make that sound even when new without the little cilinder i dont know how its called:rofl: ?

thanks guys appreciate it!!

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it'll do that it's the loose shock moving around on the mount. It's sorta the same way with the lower a arm in the front. If the bolt is loose it allows the control arm to move around causing a clunking sound. Tightened up and sound is gone. So just add those "cylinders" in and you'll be golden pony boy.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir it can. Had this exact same thumping knocking issue over bumps. I noticed play in the shocks where it was bolted on the bottom up and down. Adding in a washer/grommit made it all go away.

For what it's worth I too went right for the boomerang as the culprit at first and even replaced it with a new one and still nothing so you are not alone lol

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys, i have had a knocking noise in the back of my kj it sound almost inside the libby but not yet, i thought its was the boomerang so i got rid of it and the noise was still knocking after that, /QUOTE]

What, huh? You "got rid of" the boomerang?
You do realize what the boomerang is there for, or maybe you don't? :eek:

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it'll do that it's the loose shock moving around on the mount. It's sorta the same way with the lower a arm in the front. If the bolt is loose it allows the control arm to move around causing a clunking sound. Tightened up and sound is gone. So just add those "cylinders" in and you'll be golden pony boy.

thanks for the answer man i´ll put the cylinders (lol) ASAP

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir it can. Had this exact same thumping knocking issue over bumps. I noticed play in the shocks where it was bolted on the bottom up and down. Adding in a washer/grommit made it all go away.

For what it's worth I too went right for the boomerang as the culprit at first and even replaced it with a new one and still nothing so you are not alone lol

Thanks Hedsic ill add the "cylinders" ASAP

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys, i have had a knocking noise in the back of my kj it sound almost inside the libby but not yet, i thought its was the boomerang so i got rid of it and the noise was still knocking after that, /QUOTE]

What, huh? You "got rid of" the boomerang?
You do realize what the boomerang is there for, or maybe you don't? :eek:

Lmao, thanks again HEDSIC for helping me out with the boomerang thing hahah im not that crazy CACTUS

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing since the lift, but my problem is the rear upper. Both bushings are almost gone, and the bj is about to seperate.

I'm actually fabbing one from 1.25" .250 wall dom, and using metalcloak duroflex joints on the "frame" end, and a Johnny joint on the axle end. I'm going to notch the dom and weld the joint housings on after I set the pinion angle. Should be 250% stronger and 50x more durable then stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys please help. I have the same noise on the rear passenger side. I replaced the boomerang but still same thing. Then I drove without the passengers strut and still the noise is there. Remo ed the stabilizer bar, drove, noise still there. It drives me crazy. Please help... You think can be the lower control arms? My liberty is 2002
Thanks