Rear LSD...and front?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some explanations about how differentials are working on Liberty.

I'm referring to a SELEC-TRACK system with LSD rear differential. What's going on in the front shaft when 2 wheels on the same side encounter a slippery surface and start spinning?

With a QUADRA-DRIVE II system all the torque would be transferred to the wheel which has grip, even if it is only one. What about SELEC-TRACK ?

I have perfectly understood the differences between Part-time and Full-time 4WD linking or not the front and rear shafts speeds, but what's going on with left and right wheels spinning at different speeds on the cars (like Liberty) that doesn't have a Quadra-Drive II rerouting of torque ?

I'm trying to say that driving a Liberty on a road where I find ice that starts spinning the right wheels and, worst condition, both rear wheels (thus neutralising the rear LSD), what's going on with the front left wheel? Will it stay still or will it take me out of the ice (or mud or whatsoever)?

Thanks to all

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a LS rear diff, and both rear wheels along with the front right are on ice, youre stuck. The fulltime tcase does not have the ability to shift power. Its basically an open diff. The front diff is also an open diff and will not shift torque when stock. You can get LS's and lockers in it though.

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a LS rear diff, and both rear wheels along with the front right are on ice, youre stuck. The fulltime tcase does not have the ability to shift power. Its basically an open diff. The front diff is also an open diff and will not shift torque when stock. You can get LS's and lockers in it though.

mmm...ok... as I was afraid of.

Am I right thinking that in PART TIME the front diff is still an open in stock ?

BTW, I've read on JP magazine that TRACK LOK is almost useless...:eek:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trak-Lok helps.. But when you lift a tire it may not get you moving. Usually a pull of the ebrake can help..

The t-case has nothing to do with the front diff.. So when you are in part-time, all the tcase is doing is sending torque to the front and rear diff..

musicaldoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trak-Lok helps.. But when you lift a tire it may not get you moving. Usually a pull of the ebrake can help..

The t-case has nothing to do with the front diff.. So when you are in part-time, all the tcase is doing is sending torque to the front and rear diff..

Thanks a lot, now is all completely clear for an OR newbee like me !!!