Rear Door Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timinator

Reaction score
Hi, one of my '02 Liberty Sport driving co-workers was showing me how his rear door is stuck shut. The glass opens up and the door is definetly unlocked. He even tried kicking it from the inside. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tim

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the latch froze and won't release, or the handle's mechanism became disconnected from the latching mechanism.

My suggestion would be to pop the trim panel off the interior and see if you can manually get the latch to release the "pin" (or loop I guess).

greywarden

Reaction score
im so sorry for digging up this thread but this is also my problem now. i opened it already but i think there is no problem with the latching mechanism because everything is still connected. what will i do know? looks like time for me to look for an independent mechanic. i already tried what you said. im still figuring out which one of the jeep door handles is the culprit.

Last edited:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That happened to me just once. I climbed inside, opened the access panel in the door and played with the connector.... tried the door again and it worked. Was just a bad connection in my case.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in other words when you pull the door handle from the outside of the vehicle the door will not open?
Or when you try and open the door from the inside?

If it is from the inside, maybe it's the child safety lock?

I think he's talking about the gate

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the rear tailgate when you pull the handle does the glass open? If not you might have the same thing as me and that is a broken piece of pot metal which acts like a toggle...it is shaped like a V and one of the arms broke. Mine is jerry rigged for now with a zip tie until I fabricate one out of metal. No dealerships seem to carry it or know what it is and it isn't on their parts list. Lol go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My window regulator went bad and I havent had time to take the the panel off yet, and I cannot open my door either. It *****, I need to find time to get in there. Screw the window, I just want to open my door.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My window regulator went bad and I havent had time to take the the panel off yet, and I cannot open my door either. It *****, I need to find time to get in there. Screw the window, I just want to open my door.

It's the little square panel you just pop off....

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah didnt know that came off. Ill take a look tomorrow! Thanks for that.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah didnt know that came off. Ill take a look tomorrow! Thanks for that.

Just make sure you have a flash light :) Mine was awfully dark in there. You just have to flip a small clip and you will be set. Also be prepared for a scrap or two, I seem to always cut my hand when I put it in there. But I am graceful that way :)

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of this access panel? I didnt see any on the door panel, is it under the seatbelt?