radio question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was in my parents gmc envoy the other day, and had the radio on. i noticed a neat feature. it showed what song was being play (artist/song name). i dont have that in my libby (i have an aftermarket cd/radio). is it possible to somehow make the artist/song show up?? :-s thanks for the help.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Provided you weren't listening to Satelite Radio, which displays songs names and such. That's a funtcionality called RDS (Radio Data System). Newer units have the capability of decoding RDS feeds from radio stations that include them in their broadcast. (Usually larger stations with bigger budgets) My RB1 unit will display the station name and supposedly the song when availble. Being that I live in the tiny state of Delaware, I have only been able to get the station name- no songs yet.

Are you sure it was satelite? If not, it must have been a pretty big station. Did you have commercials?

See this page about all the different RDS data that they can push out to your radio:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/broadcast/rds/rds.php

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say they definately have some sort of RDS technology pushing out the data. They only way ot get that in the KJ is to upgrade to a factory radio that will handle it or buy an aftermarket that will.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the rbq radio (the in dash 6 cd changer) and my radio has rds.....We have a couple stations out here that will display the name and artist of the songs playing......

Your best bet would to find one on ebay, as my radio was a little over 200 dollars for one there, as the stealerships retail them for 500 or 600 dollars. There are a couple radios that have the rds feature, but I don't remember which model numbers

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
the crappy stock head unit (the tape/CD deck) did it. But, it sounded like crap, so i got myself a decent used Pioneer HU. I'd much rather have the better sound than the song title on the display since I rarley listen to the radio anyway:)

Schj98

Reaction score
A lot of the stations you listen to will have RDS however most will just say the name of the station finding one that also shows artist/song is rare.

The reason is that most stations don't run all the music they play out of an automation system. Without the automation system there is no easy way to get the artist and song information to your RDS encoder.

Jim
Jeep KJ owner/Broadcast Engineer

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a radio new from 2005 Lib

6 disc in dash factory ... RBQ 250.00 plus shipping.