radiator fan help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keith0486

Reaction score
Im new here so im sorry if i posted this in the wrong section but my question is that my fan on my liberty is blowing air away from engine and not at it is this right or is it backwords? My other question is why when i run the ac my temp gauge peaks around the 3/4 mark would this have anything to do with how my fan i blowing?

slipinkramer

Reaction score
What Liberty do you have? KJ or KK, gas or diesel, 4 cylinder or V6?

It sounds like its running way too hot! Just under the half way mark on the temperature gauge corresponds to the thermostat opening point which (I think) is 195 degrees. The cooling system is designed to stay in that vicinity under all ambient temps and load conditions. 3/4 scale is WAY TOO HOT! You are going to damage the engine in short order if you don't get the cooling system working properly.

Air moves through the ac condenser and radiator fins from out in front of the Liberty, towards the engine. The fan should blow air in this direction.

keith0486

Reaction score
I got an 03 kj and from what your saying my fan is blowing the wrong way. Also my truck dont over heat unless my ac is on and im driving around 35 40 at highway speeds its fine but im sure thats only cause the air is moving over the radiator better

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning the A/C on should activate the electric fan and keep the engine cooler not overheat it. If mine starts to get a little warm around 210 in stop and go traffic I turn the A/C on to activate the fan and cool it down. The temp drops back down to 195 pretty quick.
Sounds like you've got some electrical issues to sort out.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it looks like you do have some electrical problems. having only the electric cooling fan can also cause some problems because the electric fan does not really move much air threw the radiator. So my advice is to get a clutch fan like I do and also if your truck gets close to 3/4 on the temp gauge shut it off rite away because if you do not you will blow a head gasket and most likely the engine. If you decide to get the clutch fan you will need to get a new electric fan any ways, the electric fan that you need has a plastic shield on top of it to keep stupid people from getting there fingers cut off.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under normal circumstances (fan not running backwards) it depends on when your engine is getting too hot. If in city traffic, yes an extra fan will help. Out on the highway, you don't need a fan at all, as the amount of air rushing through the radiator is greater and faster than what a fan or two can pull. Fans don't create a 60 mph wind.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the fan is blowing the air the wrong way than you should get a new fan relay and if that does not work than maybe the fan itself has gone bad and it is not that much to go to a junk yard and pick up a used fan for cheap.

keith0486

Reaction score
Thanx for your help guys but i finally found the problem. My guess was the guy who had my jeep before me wired in a new efan and he did it backw. My jeep is running great now no overheating and the ac blows cold air all the time now.

Latest posts

Members online