Question about lift and CV damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first post!! I have been reading the forum for a while and I must say thanks to everyone sharing their info on lift kits!

I am planning on getting a rusty's 2.5 inch lift minus the rear shocks and getting some rancho's from summit racing as it is 20 minutes from my house to their showroom. Sweet huh? I also want to do a clevis lift while I am in there as I want to keep my renegade as level as possible and I have read about front end sag.

My question is: I have heard about the cv joint binding issues. I wanted to now about how long it takes for the sag to occur so I can avoid engaging my front drives until it has sagged enough that I will not damage my cv boots? I am not going to 4 wheel it much until it drops below the level where it will damage the boots. Just an estimate of how quickly it has dropped for others.

Also how much should or can I add to the clevis to keep her level and which mid skid plate (Oil pan and ****** oan) do you reccomend? A rocky or the one from RRO?

Thanks!!!

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HEY!!! Welcome to the board! Post a pic of your Jeep so I can wave to you when I see you!

Oh... and I don't really have a good answer to your question unfortunatly, I just wanted to say hi since we live in the same town.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not going to damage your CV boots or more importantly, your CV joints, by running Rusty's lift. The CV are engineered to work at that angle. The problem that you have to look for is upper ball joint contact with the springs. That's why you can't get super crazy with the clevis stuff. I run 2 conduit nuts with the Rusty's coil lift and I have no contact but I know I can't go much higher than that without risking damage.

cpliberty04

Reaction score
He there! I have the same question. So with a Rusty's coil lift we don't need to replace the upper a-arms, say with Jeepin Als a-arms? I don't plan to do much, if any, offroading except for on the beach so my lift is mainly for looks with daily driving. I don't want to replace the upper a-arms unless I have to but would like to know before I install the lift next Friday.

Thanks!

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to replace the upper arms if you are doing a Rusty's coil lift. 2-1/2" is the limit of the upper a-arms so with the Rusty's kit and and one or two conduit bolts on the clevis, you will be fine. Once you get to 3" lifts, you need to think about replacing a-arms and the like.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The accepted norm is 3 conduit nuts on each side of the clevis, on a Rusty's coil lift, which comes out to a 3/8" clevis lift. The lift will settle and drop down a little after driving it for 3-4 days, then get your alignment done and go have fun ordering your new 31" tires to put under it.

cpliberty04

Reaction score
Cool deal! \:D/ Thanks Scoobybri & KJ04.

Now I don't mean to cause trouble by asking this in the wrong thread, but KJ04, I can use 245/75-16 ATs without any modifications or will I need to pound down the pinch welds? I want a larger tire but no rubbing and no modifications if possible. I was thinking of 245/70s but if I can use the 245/75s that would be great. Firestone Dest. ATs. Thanks!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cpliberty04 said:
Cool deal! \:D/ Thanks Scoobybri & KJ04.

Now I don't mean to cause trouble by asking this in the wrong thread, but KJ04, I can use 245/75-16 ATs without any modifications or will I need to pound down the pinch welds? I want a larger tire but no rubbing and no modifications if possible. I was thinking of 245/70s but if I can use the 245/75s that would be great. Firestone Dest. ATs. Thanks!

It's the easiest mod you can do to the Jeep.

1.) Take tire off
2.) Obtain 3lb sledge hammer (the heavier weight makes it easy)
3.) Box Cutter or Dremel
4.) Cut plastic over pinch weld until pinch weld is fully exposed
5.) Use hammer to smash pinch weld flat
6.) Use a rubber anti-rust coating or Flat black to make it nice

Now run those 245/75/16 MTRs!! WOOT!!

cpliberty04

Reaction score
Thanks Phil! I just might do that while the wheels are already off for the lift install. One more week and my lift will be on. Woo Hoo!