Q: How do you get AUX-In with Factory Sirius?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A: Pie X3!

It all started with this:

Harman/Kardon Guide+Play GPS810
You must be registered for see images

The H/K is actually my third GPS in four years (Can anyone say shelf life?). Lets just say the one time I actually bought a service plan at Best Buy, its paid dividends. What attracted me to the H/K was the wireless remote. So I said f-ck it, I'm going to buy to get the service plan anyway, it can't be any worse.

Aside from normal navigation functions, it also serves as a media player, supporting both movies and music, as well as offering hands-free capabilities for your Bluetooth-enabled phone. With all the multimedia functions available, I knew I needed to find a way to get this hardwired. Since I have factory Sirius, aux-In is pretty much impossible since both rely on the same port behind the radio. Not the X3!

I didn't take any pictures during the install since its somewhat straight forward. The X3 comes in two parts, the X3 unit and a car-specific harness. The harness is essentially a Y-adapter that connects to the X3 unit, the radio and the Sirius unit.

Deciding on a location for this sucker was a pain. My first thought was somewhere near the glovebox but the harness is short and the space is super tight. I could've cut the glovebox and put it there but the Liberty lacks storage to begin with, why get rid of more?

The location under the steering wheel was perfect since its relatively easy to get to and centrally located.

The Chrysler harness for the X3 requires constant, switched and ground. I tapped into the cigar lighter for the constant and ground and I used an add-a-circuit off the radio fuse for the switched.

Big thanks to Corwyyn since I didn't even think to use the fuse panel.

I originally bought a "Tapa-Circuit" by WirthCo on Amazon for $10.86 only because I have Amazon Prime so shipping was free. Others have also used Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit which seems to run about $11.50. Forget both! Go to Autozone and pick up an Add-A-Circuit by CooperBussmann, its only $6.99. The two I bought are identical.

The three inputs are controlled by a wired remote, which I installed behind the turn-signal stalk. Double-sided tape worked perfect.

Thats it! The only downside to the X3 is its pretty huge and it uses RCA inputs. I bought RCA-to-3.5mm cables from Monoprice and they suck. Don't get me wrong, they get the job done but the wires are separate but connected. Kind of like headphones that you can pull apart up, but these wires can pull apart all the way to the 3.5mm plug.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Members online