Problem with "Part Time" light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02libby

Reaction score
About a month ago while I was driving down the freeway, my "Part Time" 4-Whel drive light came on. I pulled off of the freeway and engaged the stick into 4-hi and the light turned off. I then put the sick back to 2- wheel drive and the light came back on. Anyone else have this problem? Know how to fix it?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's a position sensor on the t-case that I've heard a few talk about going bad. Try a search on that, you might find some info on it.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Hmmm....3rd report of that problem. Do let us know how much the sensor was. It doesn't look like it's going to be too hard to replace...

copenhagen6

Reaction score
About 19 topics down, you will find my post about the same thing. I am going to order an new or get one at the salvage yard and replace it myself. Mine has been since before Christmas. Not going away. I want to say that it was about $50 for a new one.

02libby

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help guys. I called up my local dealer and it will be $80 for the new sensor, and also you have to replace the vacuum seal with it. The vacuum seal is another $7. So it is not an expensive fix, but I will let you know how difficult it gets. Thanks again for all of the help. Much appreciated.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Not an expensive fix?? I certainly call an $80 sensor quite expensive! Especially on a 5 year old Jeep!

piwayne

Reaction score
Just got my Jeep back from the dealer for the ball joint recall, and it now has the same problem. 2wd shows as 4wd, and vise versa.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for some reason this is happening on a lot of 03's, what year is yours??

just put some electrical tape over the light idea.gif

also, it may go out over time. if you dont want to wait, get a new sensor, but honestly the thing serves no purpose other than letting you know where you are engaged. i dont really think the sensor is bad, i think there is something about how it seats itself.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
I ended up fixing mine by getting on a creeper and unplugging the Transfer case position sencor. No light.......no problem......

Latest posts

Members online