Power steering pump options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, would there be any pros in changing the Liberty 3.7 power steering pump with one from a heavier vehicle like the RAM 1500 with the 3.7? Got this idea from XJ guys using WJ steering pumps.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Is your current pump leaking, or just considering upgrade?

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently had it replaced under warranty. But when I had the radiator and fan shroud out, I got a good look at the front end. I'm setting up a phased plan approach to solid axle swapping my front end. This is just another proof of concept to perform because I don't think the KK spec pump would be up for the task.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The KK power steering rack seems to be a weak link. I remember several people on LOST who offroaded in CO, TX, TN, etc. replacing theirs multiple times, even getting to the point where they carried extra racks for trail replacement. One guy (Jeepincrowd) ended up doing a custom IFS job with JBA and something like a 6 inch lift.

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That turned out to be 10" of lift, custom RCV shafts, clocked t-case, ORI struts in the corners, custom cradle drop, 9" center section, repositioned gas tank, shaved WK knuckles... A lot more work and money than what I want to put in. Plus it was a one off build that Marlin does not want to do again.

rotary_powered

Reaction score
While I can't recommend a different pump, I do have the specs for our pump out of the factory service manual that may be of some help. I would think they will have similar relief valve psi ratings, put may have a higher flow rate

And yes, the stock power steering racks are weak. I've blown out 2 so far, but I'm nearly through rebuilding one.

Attachments

• pump specs.png
    pump specs.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 12

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took a while, but found the Ram 1500 3.7 power steering pump spec. Using that pump gains upwards of 1 gpm at 1500 rpm as well as 100 psi for the operating pressure.

Theory is now that the pump should bolt into the same mounts since the 1500 pump I referred to is from the same 3.7 engine. I wouldn't use it with the stock KK rack, but good info nonetheless.

Attachments

• Ram 1500 3.7 power steering pump spec.jpg
    Ram 1500 3.7 power steering pump spec.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 6