power steering noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the jeep had been sitting for a couple of days and temps have been in the teens and getting some loud noise from the power steering. Really loud at idle and when turning but goes away after warms up after 5 or so minutes. Is my pump on its way out? Never had any trouble over the warm months just started with the cold temps.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the jeep had been sitting for a couple of days and temps have been in the teens and getting some loud noise from the power steering. Really loud at idle and when turning but goes away after warms up after 5 or so minutes. Is my pump on its way out? Never had any trouble over the warm months just started with the cold temps.

Happens to me too. Somehow gets air in the lines when it's cold. (if you open the reservoir you'll find the fluid bubbling). Unfortunately I need a new rack anyway, so I'll be replacing everything with it. (Pump, rack, lines.) I did notice that the noise does not come if you turn the wheel and hold it for a little bit. I guess it puts enough pressure through the hoses that air doesn't come in?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya possibly air and look for fluid bubbling.
Turn steering wheel full lock back & forth can help to eliminate noise.
One thing that I highly recommend is a synthetic additive for the ATF+4 called LubeGard Red.
Link: LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant
Suction the steering reservoir out, and add ^that ....bye bye to cold noisy pump & racks!

Last edited:

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed I posted this in KK section but I have KJ Thanks guys. I did notice I had bubbles while it was making the noise so I must be pulling in air somewhere but only when cold. I have no bubbling when warm and pump is quiet.

troutbum

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Liberty, In the morning when i first take off , I hear a sound like a pump coming on. I have no steering problems, and Liberty normally runs quite. I have no leaks at the P/S pump. Is this normal . Sound dosn,t last long.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold weather moan should not be a problem as long as you don't force it to full-lock right off the bat...fluid will be somewhat congealed for a bit...after starting engine, let her warm up while you check your belt(s), check your mirrors, scan the dash, crank on some tunes, and clear your path 360 degrees...the small amount of extra fuel you burn is nothing compared to the damage you can do putting a load on an ice-cold engine...give your Jeep the same consideration you give yourself when waking up in the winter...you don't leap out of bed and immediately run outside in your jock shorts, right? (well, not sober anyway)...

Latest posts

Members online