Power Steering fluid change??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moab

Reaction score
I've been working under the hood and checked my Power Steering fluid and notice it isn't too pretty.... Any heads up on the fluid change for someone who's done this already? No fluid loss it just doesn't look too clean.
At over 80K I think I should probably change it. I don't know if former owner ever did a fluid service for the Power steering yet.

BigDenMDCC

Reaction score
I've read that with PS fluid you can evacuate most of the fluid in the reservoir, say with a turkey baster. Then put in new fluid. Run the vehicle for a couple of days, then evacuate the reservoir again and put in new fluid. After a couple of days, lather, rinse, repeat! This isn't perfect but supposedly it works.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Disconnect the return hose,put it in a container,start engine,cycle steering lock to lock a few times,while adding clean fluid to reservoir. Helps to have another body and three hands.Three quarts is enough to have on hand.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year jeep,
my 02 takes regugular power steering fluid
but the newer jeeps use atf+4

and I was told you shouldn't mix the fluids

of course when I went to the dealer for regular power steering fluid the parts guy tried to give me the atf+4, when I questioned him, he went and asked and then told be to go to anyparts store and get plain power steering fluid, i guess the dealer doesn't stock the old power steering fluid anymore

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 takes ATF +4 as recommended by Chrysler via email. I'd imagine it's the same for an 02.

Sent from my iPhone

xdrtypopx

Reaction score
Any idea where the return hose is? I've heard the high pressure one is very difficult to get at?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
They are all in the same basic spot ... I think it's the one snuggled up right under the pump. Flange/Flare nut wrenches will be your new best friends!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went from the top on this as stated in the second post. Only did it once though, as the fluid wasn't TERRIBLE looking.