Passenger Airbag light/sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowbunny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay.... I have a 2004 Liberty. It has a passenger side airbag....OBVIOUSLY>>>LOL>>>>
anyway..... (Aeh) The light/sensor that is on the oh S*HT handle above the glove compartment is very iffy. sometimes it likes to come on when someone is sitting with their seatbelt on in the passenger seat. I dont get it...is there a switch somewhere or something to make it stay on or off? This has me very confused.... :-k

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i remember correctly, if the light turns on, it means the airbag is being disable. This happens if it detects something or someone in the passenger seat that weighs less than 50lb. This use to drive me crazy before i found out why it went on and off.

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No switch. It comes on when it senses something is there but is under 100 lbs. It will also come on if the person is sitting akward like on one cheek. I have had it come on when I had my gym bag or other miscellaneous things sitting on the seat. If the seat is empty it is actually off but it does not light up... if you get in to an accident the airbag will not go off.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is some limit, something like between 15-100lbs wight noticed the light will be on to tell you it wont go off -- dont want to harm the kiddies...

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my wife reaches around to the back, sits funny, the light comes on. Smart system!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate that light, mine comes on like it should, but if my jeep is cold(under 55 degrees) it stays on until ive driven about 30min. Ive taken it to the dealer, but my jeep is warm by the time i get there and the light has went off(no one is ever in my seat), i believe the sensor in the seat is bad and when it gets cold it sets off a code, idk what to do, its been like this for around a year. If it stayed on all the time i would worry alot more, but when my gf sits in it(shes around 105) it works like it should unless i just started it and its cold out side, its summer now though.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Leave the Jeep at the dealer. Tell them what's going on, next morning, they'll figure it out. I'm surprised they just didn't switch it out now, with all the complaining you have done.

K9 DAD

Reaction score
That light distracted me at first #-o It's on whenever my Golden Retriever is sitting in the seat :) I'm used to it now and don't even notice it anymore.

Snowbunny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Leave the Jeep at the dealer. Tell them what's going on, next morning, they'll figure it out. I'm surprised they just didn't switch it out now, with all the complaining you have done.

Complaining? I havent complained about anything. Other haveing to take the back panel off to hookup my hitch lights. I was just wondering what it was suppose to mean.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Snowbunny said:
marlonjbt said:

Complaining? I havent complained about anything. Other haveing to take the back panel off to hookup my hitch lights. I was just wondering what it was suppose to mean.
I was replying to jeepjeepster.

Snowbunny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Snowbunny said:
marlonjbt said:

I was replying to jeepjeepster.

ooooh....right... Gotcha.... 8-[ sorry about that....LOL