P2172 Code, HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bsonoma

Reaction score
Driving down the freeway a little bit ago and all of a sudden CEL goes off and it beings to only run on 4 or 5 cylinders. Limped it home and pulled 2 codes. P2172 "Throttle Actuator Control System - Sudden High Airflow Detected" and a P0305 " Cylinder 5 misfire detected". Anyone else run into this before? 2011 Lib.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that it is a 2011, no I have not. But being it is the same engine, I could give you some advice. The P0305 could've cause the p2172, so I wouldn't worry about the p2172. What I would do is check for spark and see if it's present. If not, you know where your problem is. Try swapping coils from a known good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bsonoma

Reaction score
I can't even get it to start to check that now. No fire. I think I might have run out of talent to figure this one out. Seems weird to be having this kind of issue with less than 100k miles.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any large tears in leaks in the intake system? How do the plugs (particularly #5) look? No spark to ANY cylinder now?

Bsonoma

Reaction score
everything under the hood looked great, a little dusty, but overall in good condition. i didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary on the intake, all plug wires looked good. I hate letting people work on my stuff, but this one is beyond me.

I'll update with the final result.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that *****, no pun intended. Have you contacted the dealer yet? Since your end of warranty was so close, they may or may not help you as a good will gesture. It sure doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

Bsonoma

Reaction score
Well that *****, no pun intended. Have you contacted the dealer yet? Since your end of warranty was so close, they may or may not help you as a good will gesture. It sure doesn't hurt to ask.

I did, the dealer just said sorry. Better luck next time.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did, the dealer just said sorry. Better luck next time.

Don't leave it at that. I used to work at an Audi/VW dealer... and those owners think they're owed everything, 6 MONTHS out of warranty.

If the dealership just said sorry, with no explanation (they should have contacted their Jeep/Chrysler rep to ask FOR YOU before telling you to buzz off), then that means that they didnt.

So contact Jeep customer care yourself, open a case with them. Explain what happened and ask what they can do for goodwill to assist with the repairs.

Things that would be in your favor is if you are a repeat Jeep owner, you are loyal to a specific Jeep dealership, you had the vehicle since new, you had the vehicle serviced at the dealer it's entire life, or much of it, and you will likely be expected to present maintenance logs, show that you performed oil changes at the recommended interval and such.

Those are the customers that get goodwill assistance, and the ones that deserve it the most. Dealers and particularly the Manufacturer reps, they get a certain dollar amount per year to spend on "goodwill" to assist with stuff like this. It's budgeted. The issue is determining if you are someone that they want to help out.

They typically will help the vehicle owners that are brand and dealer loyal and take care of their vehicles. I hope that is you, so you can get some help.

Jeep may offer to cover repairs, contribute a significant amount of cash towards the repair, offer to split the cost with you, you and the dealer, with just the dealer (if they are willing), or Jeep sometimes offers a good chunk of cash (I've seen offers of $1000-$3000) towards a new Jeep.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Bsonoma

Reaction score
@JasonJ, My best friend is a service writer and up until recently spent many years at a Jeep dealership. I asked him what my odds are of getting Jeep to cover it and he told me practically none based on his experience.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@JasonJ, My best friend is a service writer and up until recently spent many years at a Jeep dealership. I asked him what my odds are of getting Jeep to cover it and he told me practically none based on his experience.

Well that is disheartening... but I'd try anyways. Up to you, I hope you get it sorted out.

Members online

No members online now.