Oldest KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwright186

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here and new to the Liberty. I just purchased a used black 2002 Sport. It's in great shape and only has 62K miles on it. As any new (used) vehicle owner does, I have been looking it over from bumper to bumper. When I came to the Vehicle Information sticker on the door, it says my Liberty was built in March of '01. I must have one of the first ones built.

Does anybody here have one that's older?

Matt

2003KJ

Reaction score
wow, that is a pretty early build date. If its that early, and it's got the V6 in it, i'd just have to wonder if you MIGHT have a Dana 35 rear axle versus the Chrysler 8.25. If you go outside and look, look on the passenger side of the rear axle, right at the hub, and you should see a sticker labled "chrysler 8.25" If there's no sticker on it (might hhave worn off by now) look at the differential cover (big roundish type thing smack in the middle of the axle, can't miss it). The 8.25 has a flat bottom on the differential, and the Dana 35 looks more "oval" like.

99% of KJ's with the 3.7 V6 came with the corporate (chrysler) 8.25 axle. Which is actually a very decent axle and from everything i've seen on KJ boards and XJ (cherokee) boards (the 8.25 is in them also, just a different type), can take alot of abuse from lifting and running bigger tires.....something to think about if you plan to lift or anything in the future. I've seen one exception so far (with chrysler, theres almost always an exception, i don't think they even understand the stuff they do sometimes..lol). And the one exception is here . This guy has an early 02 KJ with a V6 and a Dana 35.

Any more questions and we'd be more than happy to answer, and as always (welcome)

mwright186

Reaction score
Thanks for the Welcomes and the info.

It appears that I have the 8.25. The first half of the sticker is missing and what remains says ".25 KJ". Also, the differential has the flat spot on the bottom like you mentioned. There is a metal tab on one of the cover bolts that says "3.73" I believe.

Which differential is considered to be better?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one u have is the best ones. They use them in all libbys and i believe are as strong as a dana 44 axle, not sure though.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yes you do have the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle, and the 3.73 stamped on the differential is your gearing ratio, which is 3.73:1 Very important to know in the future if you plan to mod it by say adding a locker or anything like that. Rest assured that you do have a very good rear end (if you know what I mean....LOL)

mwright186

Reaction score
Hey, thanks Tim!

I've never had a guy tell me that before. :-k

I'm not sure what mods I'll do if any. This is a very basic KJ and I kind of like it that way. Maybe some better rubber on my stock steel rims. I believe this is a pre-lower Liberty so I automatically have almost an extra inch. hah.gif

Matt

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
axle

Welcome. I think you must have the Prototype.

The dana unless srewed with, has "dana" written on the rubber drain plug.

I'll be glad to cruize up there and swap if you'd like....Lucky!

I wonder if the OBII code key trick works with yours?

Add that 3/4" front poly spacer and it really looks good.

Make sure you spend the extra $$ for good struts and shocks, makes all the diff in the world.

If you want to lift it without all that $$$ hassle some of these other cats do, take it to a spring shop and have them heat the springs and reinstall them. thats all the EMU spring is.

We have "Alamo" spring shop here in SA, Tx.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
What a coincidence.

I was just following a early Dark Green '02 Sport 4x4.

with the D35. #-o No roof rack, those dinky cheap wheels that you usually see on the 4 bangers. no window tint.

almost makes me wonder if it was a 4 ****** with a junkyard gate, but that can't be... it was far too fast to be one of those.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: axle

the1jferg said:
If you want to lift it without all that $$$ hassle some of these other cats do, take it to a spring shop and have them heat the springs and reinstall them. thats all the EMU spring is.

We have "Alamo" spring shop here in SA, Tx.

no your wrong there

the Old Man Emu spring is Manufactured in Australia using Australian Steel BHP Billiton mines it processes it turnes it into billets ARB buys it and turns it into springs for almost every make of 4WD ( Some of the best steel in the world comes from Down Under

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
ok

Ok, Ain't gonna argue with an aussie.

LIVESTRONG = Me, 14 year survivor

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
Praise God

Heres how I got healed: 2 Corinthians 12:2

After Chemo and a few surgeries, I was in ICU on refrigeration blankets with 107 degree fever that nobody could explain, recieving cold transfusions.

I asked Jesus to take me out because I could not take it anymore. I was taken out, healed at that momemt, Given a message, and put back here.

I continued in the military until retirement and raised my kids, I am also
the best husband on the face of the planet.

It took me a while to tell this story because unlike Paul...Instead of folks thinking I was boastful, in todays world they think your crazy.

Members online

No members online now.