Oil on the spark plug , cylinder #2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenkab

Reaction score
My 2002 Jeep Liberty V6 has been misfiring. I pulled the code and it showed that the misfire was on cylinder #2. After pulling the sparkplug, it was very dark and had a black hard rock stuff on the tip(looked like burnt oil). I replaced the spark plug but the vehicle is still stuttering and the engine is shaking. There is also a white smoke that smells like burnt oil. I have checked the coolant level and it seems good, have also swapped the coils to see of the misfire goes to another cylinder. The vehicle also hesitates when I accelerate and on my driveway there are soot marks from the exhaust. What could be the problem here ?Whats causing oil on the spark plug ?

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the new plug and see what it looks like. Snap us a picture.

Bob

kenkab

Reaction score
I did that yesterday and it was oily at the base(thread area and the electrode area). Will pull it again tomorrow to snap a pic.Thanks

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're getting oil into the cylinder. Either it's blowing by worn piston rings/cylinder walls, or leaking past worn valve guides or seals, or both. Either way, oily plugs (plural) are a sign of a worn engine. Only one oily plug with the rest looking normal is a sign of that one cylinder having a problem. Check the condition of all your plugs.
You seem to be describing something like this...

You must be registered for see images attach