Oil changed, bad leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo Jo

Reaction score
Greetings everyone, yesterday I changed the oil in my wife's red 2012 Jeep Liberty. I then went and picked the kids up from school, came home parked it. This morning I backed out of the driveway and noticed the vehicle was hemorrhaging oil onto the drive way. I pulled back in and shut it off. In 20- 30 seconds it dumped a little more than a quart of oil.

Upon inspection of the underside of the motor I noticed oil dripping from the oil filter drain gutter, I checked the oil filter and it was not too tight nor to loose, with some force I could tighten a bit and loosen. After this checking of the filter I asked my wife to start the engine while I watched the oil filter, it ran for about a min with no leaks, not even a drop.

Why did it NOT leak just after I changed the oil, but did leak so much the next morning. More
PHP:
like a garden hose 1/4 open.

I did lube the oil gasket with oil prior to installation
I used a K&N filter part #2011, royal purple oil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 11

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A) It wasn't on tight enough, or
2) Did you make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter?
I've had the gaskets stick to the block when removing the filter, and if you don't notice it's stuck on there, you'll have a blow out. I'd remove the filter, make sure the gasket is well seated into the channel on the filter base, and reinstall.

JeepLibertyKK

Reaction score
No question in my mind that the oil filter was too loose. It may not have leaked at first but I'm guessing at start-up on the cold motor there is a little more oil pressure and that was enough to force the leak.

The amount of oil on the floor is way too much for some of the oil to have gotten caught on the frame when drained and then 'leaked' later. The oil filter is so awkward to access that I think it's easy to not really get it on with the proper torque required. Luckily, the leak or 'blow-out' didn't happen at speed... that could have been a real disaster!