Oil change-how often?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lara81

Reaction score
When I had my TDI I was told by a vw tech that I could get away with going a bit longer between oil changes, due to my driving habits. I put at least 120kms on my vehicle daily 98% hwy, so it only takes 5-6 weeks to hit the 5000km mark... Can I get away with changing the oil in my liberty crd after a few extra kms than suggested?

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own thoughts about this that will run the gamut from every 3k (mi) to every 12k.
The best way to find out whats right for YOUR engine is to have an oil analysis done periodically.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Blackstone isnt the only company that does it, just the first big one that came up on my search. They can tell you exactly whats going on in your oil and help you figure out what interval is appropriate based on the results.
Generally speaking though, a CRD is not a TDI. No offense intended of course, its just different animal.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive gone 15,000 miles between changes with my TDI Jetta. I changed the oil filter every 2500 miles and the oil at 15,000. I did oil analysis and the oil was still ok. I use Amsoil European car formula. I wouldnt mess around with it unless you use synthetic oil.