Odd noise, now gone !?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kiwi_outdoors

Reaction score
while on vacation, one cold morning there came from under the hood at fast idle a noise which I traced using a "mechanics ears" (breaker bar in one ear, other end on item of interest) - and convinced myself and wife that one or more bearings on the alternator had gone bad. (water pump is new, belt idlers pulley are new). This continuned for a couple of days and then we relocated to an RV park in town and procured a new alternator. The next morning, the sound was gone!!

We have no explanation for this. It's still fine.

Last edited:

Paul Dalby

Reaction score
while on vacation, one cold morning there came from under the hood at fast idle a noise which I traced using a "mechanics ears" (breaker bar in one ear, other end on item of interest) - and convinced myself and wife that one or more bearings on the alternator had gone bad. (water pump is new, belt idlers pulley are new). This continuned for a couple of days and then we relocated to an RV park in town and procured a new alternator. The next morning, the sound was gone!!

We have no explanation for this. It's still fine.
Alternator clutch? If I remember right, mine is noisy when the clutch engages the alternator, normally switches on every minute or so and lasts for about 10 seconds - but I don't know if mine is normal or not - it's just always done it since I've had it.
Maybe your battery charge was low on the cold morning, engaging the alternator clutch more, but after a drive the full charge was restored?

kiwi_outdoors

Reaction score
Alternator clutch? If I remember right, mine is noisy when the clutch engages the alternator, normally switches on every minute or so and lasts for about 10 seconds - but I don't know if mine is normal or not - it's just always done it since I've had it.
Maybe your battery charge was low on the cold morning, engaging the alternator clutch more, but after a drive the full charge was restored?
There is no clutch on the alternator in my Liberty (only on the AC compressor).

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
There is no clutch on the alternator in my Liberty (only on the AC compressor).
The alternator clutch isn't electrically operated like the air conditioning or viscous heater. It's a much smaller diameter mechanical clutch made by Liten. I think it decouples the alernator to control the alternator's speed. Rust dust near the alternator pulley hub is a bad sign.

Maybe this wizardry isn't on the export version.

Latest posts

Members online