Noisy startup normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltsnapper

Reaction score
I'm a new owner of a '10 KK. I just rolled over 100k miles and have put a little over 1k on it since I've owned it for about a month.

I asked about this on another forum, but haven't gotten any feedback as yet. I'm hoping for just any and all responses - regardless how technical in nature. I just want to know if this is a common thing with these vehicles or if I have a serious problem.

The Jeep makes a fairly pronounced clatter / knocking sound at startup. It goes away, but not within the first few seconds - it might take a minute or might be related to operating temperature; once it warms up a little it goes away.

Not being familiar with these motors, I wonder if this noise is normal. I have read posts on this and other boards that make it seem that these things have been noisy since they were new. It sounds like timing chain tensioners and/or lifters are often noisy.

I changed oil right after I bought it and used synthetic 5w20 and an anti-drainback filter. The oil is still clean as can be after 1k+ miles.

I also realize no one can truly answer this unless or until you hear it. I'm more just wondering if this is common or if it is almost certainly cause for alarm.

I would really appreciate any feedback / anecdotes / advice!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just some ideas to try.
Take the serpentine belt off & start the Jeep for under 30 seconds. Is it still clattering now? Yes the dash will light up.
If belt is off & it is still clattering use a mechanical stethoscope to listen where the noise is coming from.

If it's now fine, spin/check all the accessory pulleys while belt is off. They should be tight no wobbling or bearing noises. You may even feel the accessory grinding inside as it turns.
You can also use the stethoscope with belt on/off to pinpoint potential noisy or problem area/pulleys.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 that just passes 118k. My Libby has made this noise upon startup since I got it with 100k. My noise is coming from the timing chain guides. It is pronounced up to 30 seconds and then goes away. Only does it upon first startup, rest of the day it is fine. Eventually if it gets worse I may tear it down and replace the chains and guides. So far it has never changed in frequency or sound, so I don't worry about it. I think that the oil is draining out from the guide and until it builds oil pressure in the guide it makes noise.

boltsnapper

Reaction score
This is consistent with what I'm hearing, too, and I'm hoping it's not a fatal issue - especially since I drive very conservatively (no hard accelerations - let it warm up before driving, etc.) How critical is this, or what is the worst case scenario if this is the problem?

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive far from modestly. People say the liberties are slow however I'm sufficiently satisfied with the performance of mine. Probably once or twice a week I hit wot up to 80 mph. The liberty does it without any funny business or weird noises.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 05 I have now I bought for my Mom and Stepfather
He was already past 85 and drove slow, no fast takeoffs etc
I drove it some when I was visiting but not much
When he stopped driving and I took it over I noticed a little ticking like noise until it warmed up
Now that I drive it all the time I never hear it at all.
Been driving it last 3 days, as usual my hitting the interstate is at 80-85 for about 9 miles and does just as good as the 03 and no noises , no issues
I've always said these like to be ran, not driven like Grandma Moses

JeepLibertyKK

Reaction score
That noise is fairly common on most engines due to ‘wear’ over higher mileage. An engine with 100k miles on it won’t sound like an engine when brand-new.

I’ve owned a couple of Jeep’s and my opinion is they tend to sound more ‘agriculture’ than ‘refined’ when starting and idling. You get a better perspective on how engines sound when you go through a drive-thru and pull up next to the building.

boltsnapper

Reaction score
You get a better perspective on how engines sound when you go through a drive-thru and pull up next to the building.

Yeah, the drive-thru gives me anxiety. I think by the time it's warmed up and I'm up against the wall at McDonald's it's more an exhaust leak tick (the more solid metallic sound I hear at start up completely goes away at full operating temperature). Wish there was an easier way to read oil pressure. I did a little Sea Foam in the oil for about 200 miles prior to the most recent oil change, and there was no metal, sludge, etc. I hope it's just a sound I need to get used to...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That noise is fairly common on most engines due to ‘wear’ over higher mileage. An engine with 100k miles on it won’t sound like an engine when brand-new.

I’ve owned a couple of Jeep’s and my opinion is they tend to sound more ‘agriculture’ than ‘refined’ when starting and idling. You get a better perspective on how engines sound when you go through a drive-thru and pull up next to the building.
?????????????????????
My 04 I bought brand new still sounds the same at 232,000 miles , not my opinion, FACT

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It is by the way
chuckling :) :) :) :) at you

not sure why you are worried about my back " then "

If you want to stop by I will start up my 03 with 166,000 miles and 05 with 120,000 to see they do not rattle, shake or make any noise either ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard a couple that made some that made noise / rattling sound , but we found one had a bad heat shield on the left side convertor , sounded just like a engine noise when idling in gear or low RPM going between buildings Guy was going to trade me for one that I had just taken in on trade , found the noise and he backed out , darn it :)
Other one was a a small piece of metal that would just barely touch the muffler , never did figure out where it came from

boltsnapper

Reaction score
I'm not 100% convinced the sound isn't related to exhaust or even flex plate. I wish these things had oil pressure gauges. if I had good pressure at idle (and oil is super clean at every change), I wouldn't worry about the noise. I just took it on a 1700 mile round trip, and I swear now it is quieter at startup than it was before the trip.