Noise when stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05 CRD

Reaction score
Hi I have a 05 CRD, jeep has replaced the ball joints, upper control arm and it clunks when stopping, sometimes when accelerating. Approx. 30,000 miles.

Also jeep has replaced the torque converter (2) and I just had them install a trans-go shift kit.

After the shift kit install it is not as noisy when stopping but still makes a clunking sound the local dealer has replaced the front end parts and it made no difference, I paid to install the shift kit and it got better, but it is still there.

I have no idea what is causing this clunk when stopping, but after staying at Holiday Inn I say transmission related. Any way I can test to see if it is in the transmission? Or front end, or driveline. Or has this happened to anyone else? What was it? Any help appreciated.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it clunk when you let off the gas or when you hit the breaks? If it clunks when you let off the gas its probably normal drivetrain slack that everyone complains about.

05 CRD

Reaction score
I happens about 1-2 seconds before the vehicle stops, sometimes it repeats just as I accelerate. The service writers/ techs have drove the vehicle and ended up replacing pretty much the front suspension.
The tech checked the driveline for play and said everything was tight at least up front and that is where the noise is.

Could be driveline slack, I'll run it bye them. But the tech is pretty sharp and if it is common he would have spotted it.

Craig-SA

Reaction score
05 CRD,

I had a similar problem with my 2002 model... or it sounds similar anyway...

The problem turned out to be the chain tensioner at the back of the transfer case... What happened in my case was the chain now having some slack would knock against the inside of the transfer case... Until it was identified by a mechanic friend of mine, he Jeep dealership could not find the problem...

once this was solved, the knocking sound disappeared immediately...

Unfortunately i don't think this is a repair that can be done by yourself, as you will need gearbox experience to do it...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
This is an old thread *but*

The OP's problem is the passenger side engine mount. It's loose. Tighten it up and all will be well again.

Latest posts

Members online