New to me '04

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobd254

Reaction score
Hi folks,
You must be registered for see images attach
I've had the KJ for about 2 months. The front end needed a lot of work. So, New upper and lower control arms, ball joints and tie rod ends.
Changed all the fluids , and plugs. the old plugs had a gap of about 75,
Tires were shot , and put on a set of slightly larger 235 65 18's (30").
Your looking at the good side, I had to paint the right front fender and some other areas.
I don't know anything about the car but it looks like its sitting about 2" higher than stock. 21" from mid wheel to bottom fo fender flare.

After getting it alligned , I finally took it out at highway speeds, It runs straight , but above about 65 there is a loud 'chain on case' sort of sound.
I had an AWD Astro that made a very similar sound and it was the transfer case chain. Hope thats what it is with this one.
I'll take the front drive shaft off and run it in 2WD then 4WD, I believe that if it is the chain , it should not be spinning in 2WD (so hopefully no noise) but will be spinning in 4WD(probally noise).
I'll be looking to the forums expertise , as I work on this !

Bob

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice KJ and nice ARB bumper!

Chances are your transfer case is fine and the CV on the front driveshaft that goes into the transfer case is shot. It sounds like dragging chains when it is worn out and needs replacing. If the rubber boot is gone and all the grease is shot out, it is toast. Also if there is any play in the joint when you try to wiggle the driveshaft. The CV end kit is only $40 shipped from driveshaftparts.com and an easy DIY.

Note: the front driveshaft does spin when in 2wd.

Bobd254

Reaction score
Nice KJ and nice ARB bumper!

Chances are your transfer case is fine and the CV on the front driveshaft that goes into the transfer case is shot. It sounds like dragging chains when it is worn out and needs replacing. If the rubber boot is gone and all the grease is shot out, it is toast. Also if there is any play in the joint when you try to wiggle the driveshaft. The CV end kit is only $40 shipped from driveshaftparts.com and an easy DIY.

Note: the front driveshaft does spin when in 2wd.
Ah, So there is a CV in here.... Not any play, but here is what it looks like.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'll order replacemet from where you suggested, and probably get new U-joints too.
There's about 3/8"play in driveshaft to front diff, is that normal?
Thanks!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That CV is indeed toast! That will be your chains noise.

I have never changed the U joint, so I’ll leave that to someone who has, or knows.